Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for the Livest Live Rock in Edm

After a nearly 3yr build process I'm finally adding saltwater to my system, should be finished tonight. So now my search begins for the freshest live rock in Edmonton. Now I live about an hour out from the city so I'm just asking around to see which store, the canreef members feel, has the freshest live rock right now.

My tank is going to be fallow for probably 6 months as it has 150lbs of dry rock in a 350 gallon system volume. I'm looking to add about 100lbs of live rock between my two displays, my macro fuge and my pod fuge.

So I'm asking you, the city dwellers, who do you think has the best liverock in stock right now, before I begin calling all the stores in Edmonton in the morning and beginning my quest.

And if asking for specific stores violates the forum rules, I apologize to the moderators in Advance, I just really don't have the time to drive to all the various stores and then finally go back to the one or two stores that have the freshest stock.

I'm not looking for cured rock, I want as much biodiversity as I can get

Many Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

IMO, buy LR out of someone's tank if you are looking for really good rock that is full of life.
most LR out of stores, including my own, is pretty bare because of the way it is shipped without water for at least 48 hours.
that being said, there can be also be a lot of stuff (hitchhikers, bad algae, etc) you don't want with LR when buying fully established rock.
good luck in your hunt.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Cured rock is full of life.

Uncured is dead matter rotting. If you are looking for good rock, buy cured.

Most store rock is not cured when they first get it, but cures within weeks of being in the tanks.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

We have about 300 lbs of fully cured Live rock.... I know because I just brought it from home.... full of life and no pests!

Steve
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road

Wow, I'm impressed with the responses and PM's that I have received, it appears I will have no issue finding the rock that I need.

Thank you all
Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 AM

marine_addict is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of switching over a few tanks (downsizing).. if you are interested I will soon be selling my live rock. and also possibly my some live sand/crushed coral mix from my tank I will not be using. It has all been running in my tanks for abt 2 yrs... let me know if you are interested.

Tags
edmonton, live rock, wanted