Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 06-08-2004, 06:05 AM

yagimax is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI filters

Wow , my very first posting.

I'm planning on purchasing an Aquasafe RO/DI 100gpd 6 stage filter system from an Ebay vendor at a price of $130.00.
How do these compare to the Aqua FX or Kent Marine units costing
almost 3 times more ?

thanks..............Gary
(A newbe in Victoria B.C.)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

hey Gary

I have had both the aquafx 100gpd unit and the aquasafe 75gpd unit.

The aquafx unit is nicer in terms of features - you got the clear filter cases so you can see when they are dirty and you have the psi meter built in.

But, I have the aquasafe unit now running. The TDS meter shows a rating of 1 for both units. the aquasafe unit has more filter stages. I dont know if this makes it more efficient at removing anything, as the TDS ratings are the same. I have noticed the 75gpd aquasafe unit outproduces the 100gpd aquafx unit that cost 4x as much.

Overall, for the price I would say the aquasafe unit seems to be a good buy. Perhaps in a few more months I can let you know if I am still satisfied.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

GAry, many people have bought those and reported being pleased with their purchase.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

WELCOME TO CANREEF GARY
Old 06-08-2004, 02:06 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have an Aquasafe unit.

My only gripes are:

(1) Constant slow leak (drip) coming from several spots in the unit, I have no hope of over stopping this completely.

(2) Poor documentation/instructions.

This unit is low-priced so I can't complain.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:55 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

hmmm, I had two small leaks.

I was impatient and so I just used silicone to fix them.

no more leaks
Old 06-08-2004, 03:17 PM

medican is on a distinguished road

Hey there........

I have had a Aquasafe for almost a year. When I first set it up, yes a couple of leeks but soon fixed. Works very well the clear case thing so you can see the filters I just cant buy in to that, its the TDS you want to know. PSI gage a nice to have but Im doing ok without it. The one thing that I did add was a PERMEATE PUMP no power needed and cuts the waist water way back as much as 60-80% (i think) increases psi of system and recoups faster.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...meatePump.html

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/pumps.asp

Just a couple I found do a search on it theres tons of sellers

Cheers
Richard
Old 06-09-2004, 12:18 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medican
the clear case thing so you can see the filters I just cant buy in to that, its the TDS you want to know. PSI gage a nice to have but Im doing ok without it.

Cheers
Richard
the clear case is a god send for areas that have a large algae content in the water, gives you a quick check on the condition of your first sediment filter.

as for a PSI Gage, if you don't have one get one.. there cheep and they are good for tuning your system for optimal performance. also if you have high water pressure they will let you know if you are unsafe. another bonus for them is a quick reading of the condition of your filters.. a TDS meter won't tell you if they are starting to plug up only that your membrane is pooched.

so to recap, a clear first container is nice, a PSI gage is a must, you want to get at least 100GPD (anything less and you will be wishing you went bigger) and IN MY OPINION DI in Victoria is a waist of time, you would be better off getting two carbon blocks instead of a carbon block and a DI.. if you got lower water pressure a pump is a bonus, a necessity if you water pressure is under 45 PSI. I am not a fan of the permeate pumps and they are a trade off, sense it is physically imposable to boost both pressure and flow only using the original water energy, so there is a trade off of one or the other. IE. higher pressure but less flow. this would be a problem is you were using a large membrane and because of the reduced flow you could only put 2/3 of the total capability through it. electric pumps are a bit of money but so is everything in this hobby be carefull when getting a electric boost pump that you get one with a output capable of powering your membrane capacity.

trilinearmipmap, if you have the nylon swage type fittings don't waist your time, they are notorious for loosening up over time. replace them all with the equivalent JG fittings.. I had the same problems until I swapped them all out.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:52 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Steve,

The fittings I have look like a little plastic cylinder with 4 legs on it, you insert the tubing into it and it automatically locks in place, are these the "swage" fittings you are talking about or the John Guest fittings, where can I find the best type of fitting, maybe a plumbing store or appliance type store?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I would have to see a pic o be sure, but here is a link with john guest fittings to see how they look.
http://www.johnguest.com/range_spec....FIT&rs=1&id=14

if what you have is john guest I am surprized they are leaking. I run 240 psi off my boost pump and they don't leak at that pressure.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.