Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM

Switch Blade is on a distinguished road
Default ethyl cyanoacrylate

hey guys i got this Instant Krazy glue from home depot and all it said it contains was ethyl cyanoacrylate, i read up on other forums.saying that its reef safe but i would like to double check here. thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Karsten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch Blade View Post
hey guys i got this Instant Krazy glue from home depot and all it said it contains was ethyl cyanoacrylate, i read up on other forums.saying that its reef safe but i would like to double check here. thanks
I have used that stuff no problem. I used lepage ultra gel. It even sets when wet
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM

Switch Blade is on a distinguished road

i know that we are looking for 100 % cyanoacrylate when getting coral glue but not sure about the "ethyl " part.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

As far as I know ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA)is what is usually reffered to as cyanoacrylate. ECA is what crazy and super glue brands names are made from. Cyanoacrylate is the family of chemicals used and ECA is one specific chemical from that family. My bet is you are safe.

Last edited by Ian; 03-24-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 AM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

$1 stores will also carry. save some $.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hey guy I use the Gorilla glue it also has the same stuff in the Crazy Glue Gel and its alot of 6 bucks too check it out,but there is two types of the glue make sure that you look at the package first.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM

aqua80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
As far as I know ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA)is what is usually reffered to as cyanoacrylate. .
exactly
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM

DigitalWeight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Hey guy I use the Gorilla glue it also has the same stuff in the Crazy Glue Gel and its alot of 6 bucks too check it out,but there is two types of the glue make sure that you look at the package first.
I have used this stuff too - works well but I just wish it was a bit thicker. Is there a thicker version?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 AM

keigan is on a distinguished road

Hello, CanReef! First post (and aquarium) - I thought this deserved its own thread, but I just registered so I can't post new topics yet. Anyways, I just wanted to give anyone who may be looking for an underwater adhesive a heads-up about my experience trying to glue semi-polished river rocks. I used Instant Krazy Glue Advanced Formula Gel. The ingredient listed is ethyl cyanoacrylate, with which some people seem to have had luck. This particular product was not suited for the job. Glued ornaments, after 24 and 48 hours of curing, still clouded water and crumbled when handled after soaking. The longer the soak, the weaker the bond became.

I should note that this is one particular product in a vast Krazy Glue line, so I am not saying they don't have a product better suited for aquarium use. I've contacted the manufacturer for advice.

It is also worth noting that as semi-polished river rocks are my medium, it seems likely that the problem is further exaserbated by the fact that the surfaces would not be flush. This is mentioned on nearly any cyanoacrylate adhesive packaging.

The exact product can be found via google, string: "site:walmart.ca instant krazy glue advanced formula gel" - first result.

I'm doing a bit of research on the subject, I'll share my findings. I'm about to test another gel superglue...this one has "cyanoacrylate" rather than "ethyl cyanoacrylate" on the packaging and specifically states that it is waterproof. It was my assumption from many forum threads in search results that any cyanoacrylate adhesive would be waterproof. Hope I can help others avoid the same hassle!

Last edited by keigan; 10-31-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 PM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

For stones use common 2 part epoxy I've used that for my live rock and had zero problems. I've used two types the putty which has to be kneaded as well as the liquid which has to be stirred to mix.