Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default Bio pellets

so im in the process of building my tank setup and come across positive and negative things about bio pellets, im just wondering what are peoples experiences and do you guys use them with other media? im trying to establish a stable tank
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

this might help.

as might this.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

wow theres a lot of mixed reviews
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
wow theres a lot of mixed reviews
yup. Welcome to marine aquaria!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I was one of the first in calgary to use with Delphinus/Tony... Removed at some point to issues, not with the pellets, just overall. But can tell you that I am running them again.

I can tell you this, first time use, had no algae, when I removed, had algae build up, and had to clean glass daily. With them back in Algae develoment is almost gone, and I clean the glass every 3-4 days, sometimes longer.

For those that ask, why I discontinued the first time. I had major SPS death with RTN. I removed as I thought just maybe it was the pellets, but eventually figured out it was the Kent Carbon I was using.

So I am using Vertex carbon, biopellets with GFO with success so far. GFO and pellets have been running together for about 4 months now.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I was one of the first in calgary to use with Delphinus/Tony... Removed at some point to issues, not with the pellets, just overall. But can tell you that I am running them again.

I can tell you this, first time use, had no algae, when I removed, had algae build up, and had to clean glass daily. With them back in Algae develoment is almost gone, and I clean the glass every 3-4 days, sometimes longer.

For those that ask, why I discontinued the first time. I had major SPS death with RTN. I removed as I thought just maybe it was the pellets, but eventually figured out it was the Kent Carbon I was using.

So I am using Vertex carbon, biopellets with GFO with success so far. GFO and pellets have been running together for about 4 months now.
Interesting, I thought you jumped to prodibio ?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Interesting, I thought you jumped to prodibio ?
I did, but ran out and got lazy, so stopped.

Do I feel it worked, yes, but I do feel the pellets did also, and are even easier. So back at that.

Read that running pellets with GFO work well, and it seems to be with me, and I do like not having to keep track of any dosing, being Zeo or Prodibio.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 AM

I've actually been meaning to ask you about your prodibio experience as it compares to bioPellets. Since you've tried both you can speak on the pros and cons of both systems. I've never tried prodibio but briefly thought about it. Sounds like I would have probably ended up as you did and gone back to bioPellets.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I've actually been meaning to ask you about your prodibio experience as it compares to bioPellets. Since you've tried both you can speak on the pros and cons of both systems. I've never tried prodibio but briefly thought about it. Sounds like I would have probably ended up as you did and gone back to bioPellets.
It worked well, and way easier than zeovit. But you still have to make a commitment to it and it does cost more than pellets. Because of my skimmer issues, then Cyano and algae, thought I would try pellets again, and I was already using GFO. Pellets are the easiest with very little effort.

The only time I was really 100% algae free was with pellets. Hopefully I get that back again.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 AM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Yup, used them for a while now.....love them. One important thing with bio pellets is using a large enough pump with them to keep them tumbling very rapidly. My nitrates went from 40-50ppm (salifert test kit), to 2ppm(still salifert kit) took about 6 months to get there and i have a really really really high bio-load. What can i say love my fish as much as I love my corals! I would most definetly recommend them and i would never set up a system with out them....as i begin planning my future 180 gallon upgrade!! Yay!

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.