Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-21-2004, 09:29 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road
Default Long post!!! upgrading need advise and buy stuff

Well it's been awhile since I frequented this board. I've been working 2 jobs for about 3 months and my time was seriously limited. (didn't neglect the reef though!!)

Anyway, I set up my 20 gallon in December. Since then I've grown it into a 46 gallon. Things were going well. All healthy and happy. Well anyway, I went down to the LFS to get a bit more rock when I was approached in the parking lot by a very embarrassed reefer. It seems he added a hippo and yellow tang to his 120?? tank. They were both youngsters and could not compete with his more aggressive livestock. He said both were very sickly and wouldn't hold out for long. If I agreed to keep him anonymous, he offered to give them to me to try to save. He didn't want to offer them to LFS because he figured they would get flushed down the toilet right after he left.

Well after about 3 weeks in a quick improv 20 hospital tank, using garlic extract and vitamin soaked nori and adding 2 cleaner shrimp to the mix, Both tangs are pretty much cured of both HLLE and ich and I moved them into the 46 and continue to try to target feed them vitamin and garlic enhanced foods.

So now I have 2 tangs living in my 46 gallon. Not a good situation. I was going to trade or sell them, but now I've grown too attached to them. Hell I even named them. What I'm planning on is to re initialize my larger reef plans that got put on hold and get a larger tank running asap. I figure I can have one running by early fall. As both these tangs are still small, I hope the 46 will hold them that long.

Mid June, my budget will allow me to buy a better skimmer and filtration system to handle the extra bio load I got going now. I currently have to do water changes twice a week to keep diatoms and other nasties at bay. I will be looking to buy a good skimmer at that point that will handle the new 135 gallon and 46 gallon sump as that is what I'm lookiing to upgrade to. It would need to have Hang on capabilities as I will be sumpless until everything is done.

Right now, I need to get my hands on some macro algae so these boys can graze. I hope to use the 20 gallon as a farm to keep them in supply.
Currently I am adding nori into every nook and cranny in rocks after each lights out so they can have a grazing experience and not get trained to just look for a sheet on a clip. It's quite time consuming.

I'd welcome all advise and leads on where to get some of the stuff I need to keep my reef happy and healthy until I can upgrade.

Thanks
Scavenger