Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Reef23 is on a distinguished road
Default 25g rimless cube or 34g solana HELP

I recently sold my complete 140g custom miracles setup. My original plan was to get out of the hobby completely or at least take a year or so off. I have two young kids and a job that takes up 99% of my time.
After only a month or so I have decided to get back in (wife and I miss the tank) but keep it very simple. I have always wanted a rimless cube and decided that's what I will get. I now have the option to pickup a 34g Solana AIO tank (20x20x20) or a starphire miracles 25g cube (18x18x18) with glass-holes.com overflow. Both tanks are in great shape. At first it was a no brainer for me as I love the Solana's but slowly I started worrying about the limited options for skimmers and such in a sumpless system like the Solana's.
I was hoping some of you on here can help me out if you have ran an AIO setup before. How did it perform ? With the 25g system I would be able to run a better skimmer and if issues arise down the road I could run a reactor with biopellets or other such media. Keep in mind I'm trying to stay simple.
I guess another extremely important fact is I will be just housing 2 designer clowns and 2 or 3 other small fish like a helfrichi firefish. Coral wise I will be sticking with LPS and softies. I don't plan on overstocking just adding enough coral to make some colors pop.
Lighting for this setup will be strictly LED. So far I'm thinking of going with the maxspect razor for the Solana and the AI nano for the 25g cube.
Im thinking the 25G cube may have about the same room for aquascaping because it wont have the false wall like the Solana that takes up nearly 4" of the aquarium making it around 20x16x20.

Let me know everyone's opinion......

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Personally I like a tank and seperate sump. You can add more rock to sump and skimmer options are better. For example
I have a 26g cube with a 15 gallon sump. I have just as much rock in sump as in DT. Also a mr1 reactor full of hydroton. The sump allows you to hide equipment for a cleaner look too.

As for rimless while it looks good your constantly spashing water over edge while cleaning. But if you don't mind that then its a great look

Just my 5c.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

solana is a pretty tank but that back wall can't be cleaned well. i'm hating not having a sump these days too.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the input guys both are valid concerns. I have always had a sump and worried I will miss it as well. I will take the pro's and con's of the rimless as I feel the look is worth it. Im really wondering if the extra space in the 34g is worth it.
The 25g cube is an 18" cube with a glass-holes.com overflow up and out of the way giving the full 18" for aquascape. The solana as everyone knows is a 20" cube but the back 4" is the overflow really making it a 20x16x20 cube. Is the 2" WxH worth it ?

I really worried about the back acrylic getting full of coraline like lastlight stated.

Tough decision
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM

jus68 is on a distinguished road

I'm currently running the 34g Solana. With regards to the back wall, yes it's tough to clean but I see it as once my colonies get established and grow out I wouldn't be able to see the back wall anyways.

I've ran a 75g display with 20g sump before and I don't miss the sump too much. But then again I'm trying to run a KISS system without a skimmer... It's still in its early phase so far so good. I'm really enjoying my Solana fwiw. Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 AM

My aquascape plan is just a rock island in the center with a 360 view of the tank. I always feel it really gives the cube that 3d look. If I dont have rock against that back wall it will be a real eyesore once it get coraline on it