Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM

lngrhaul is on a distinguished road
Default LED options for 180

So I've been reading here and elsewhere about the options for good LED lighting for my standard 180 gallon (6'x2'x2') and would like your opinions on what I think are my top 3 choices.

My budget is low so can't do the Mitra or Vertex options.

Considering the AI, the Radion or the new Kessil a350w.

I am also looking for guidance on how many of each I would need. I think 3 Radions would do it but would 3 of the AI be enough? And with the Kessil's - the specs say 3 would be enough but can we really trust that?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lngrhaul View Post
So I've been reading here and elsewhere about the options for good LED lighting for my standard 180 gallon (6'x2'x2') and would like your opinions on what I think are my top 3 choices.

My budget is low so can't do the Mitra or Vertex options.

Considering the AI, the Radion or the new Kessil a350w.

I am also looking for guidance on how many of each I would need. I think 3 Radions would do it but would 3 of the AI be enough? And with the Kessil's - the specs say 3 would be enough but can we really trust that?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom
Each radion can cover upto 30" so yes 3 should be good enough. I am not sure about AI. But three Kessils? Even my 30" tank would need 2 You need around 5-6 or those and would still lack the look that you would like to have from your tank (in terms of spectrum). Kessils are overrated I must say. They are just good spotlights

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I have 3 radions over my 180 and it's plenty.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

It honestly depends on your tank layout and inhabitants. I tried 3 SOL on mine, not enough. If you had lower rock work, less SPS, maybe 3 would do it.

You're welcome to come by and have a look if you want.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, should be no shortage of opinions, based on past discussion on this subject. I have mostly stayed out of these in the past, but what the heck, it's a slack day for me today...

I bought my first 3 Radions just over a year ago for my 6 ft 100 g tank. Unlike some others, mine have worked flawlessly. The only challenges I had early on was with the software. But that has been mostly fixed with new versions and firmware. My lights are inside a canopy, 8 inches above the water. The fan cools well inside (and the canopy is vented) exhausting out the sides of the fixture. The big power supplies with the heat sinks have a long cord and are mounted outside, so don't add any heat inside my canopy. I was also able to set up a DIY rail system allowing for some positioning flexibility and easy removal for cleaning and inspection. The AI Sols would not have worked inside my canopy, so were not an option.

All in all, I have been very happy with the Radions. The lighting is very nice, and good for coral growth. I like the software too, and the ability to control all aspects of your lighting over time.

Then last year, I set up a 2nd 6 foot tank downstairs, so I bought 3 more Radions. These are the newer Gen 2's. They are 20 - 40% more powerful than my original Gen 1s, and it is quite noticeable. I understand they also have a better fan which is more reliable. I moved the Gen 1's downstairs to my new tank, and replaced them with the new Gen 2s. Because they are so powerful, I still have not been able to ramp them past 90% and only for a short peak time at that intensity. I now have SPS corals, and they are growing very well under this light. I have had to move some corals lower down and to partially shaded areas to prevent bleaching.

I also have a QT/frag tank, so bought another Gen 1 Radion (now have 7 altogether) for that too. But that one doesn't need more than 20% intensity at this time. What is nice too, is that all the Radions communicate wireless with each other, and you only have to connect one fixture to your laptop, to program all the rest, even though they are in different areas in your house.

So, while I can't speak much about the others, I do have to say that I am very pleased with my Radions. They are not cheap, but they do the job for me, and very well.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 02-18-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Lori I have two Radions over my 4ft tank and its fine. You can come and see if you like
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Compare the pricing of 2 Mitras vs anything else you're looking at, they do just fine on my 6' tank. It would have taken 3 or 4 Radions.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
Compare the pricing of 2 Mitras vs anything else you're looking at, they do just fine on my 6' tank. It would have taken 3 or 4 Radions.
I can see the cost of 2 mitras is just a bit more than 3 radions and they have hanging kits included. But over my 6' tank, the mitras will probably be centred right on top of my bracing - will that affect the par reading?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Do you have two braces front to back on your 180? I have one in the center so 2 fixtures work great.

The brace would affect the output to some degree but not drastically.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Yes, 2 braces and they are fairly thick.