Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
-LMAO_

Default blue tang HELP!!

Heyy guys wanted to ask you all you wonderful people for you amazing knowledgable help ...So i set ip a 100 gallon reef tank about 4 months ago. I have 2 fire fish 2 clowns 1 mandarin goby 2 sand sifters 2 chromis 1 cardinal 1 wrasse. i have about 60 pounds of live rock and a bunch of diff corals...So far everything is good everything is alive all the fish r happy and my corals are loving it. all my levels are good aswell amonia, nitrates ect...So my friend is closing down his tank and he wants to give me some of his fish....he wants to give me Fox face, Blue hippo tang, kole tang, Naso tang, Lyretail anthias, Sleeper goby, flameback goby

So do u guys think its okay to take them...hes had them for 3 years now all of the fish together and hes had no problems...Im only scared about the blue tang because i heard they can get ick very easily...what are your guys suggestions?
anything and everything will help THANK YOUUU
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

IMO - If you're going to get new fish, especially a Regal Tang, you're typically better off getting them from another hobbyist's tank than from an LFS's system. Blue Tangs are notorious for ich but don't let that deter you from re-homing him to your tank.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
-LMAO_

LFS as in a store right?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
-LMAO_

sorry still getting used to the lingo on here ahaha
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Ya, local fish store.

No worries.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

go for it. get some cleaner shrimp. may help.
I've kept tangs for years and never had an ick outbreak and I don't bother to quarantine.
I put it down to a stable balanced system, the cleaner shrimp and wrasse may help... lol.
but do a through inspection as well. As you said though, healthy in a friend's tank probably is ok.

if you do grab all his fish, I'd be more concerned with your bio-load suddenly jumping from all those fish. Watch your nitrates/ammonia/etc.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

You've opened up a can of worms. You've got 9 fish already and looking to add some fish that can get too big for your tank. Do you have a skimmer good enough to handle the bioload? All the tangs and the foxface will get too big for your tank other than the kole tang. As for the ick there is means to combat it which another member has posted but I will add that soaking food in garlic helps as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
-LMAO_

Concerning the bioload i have a huge skimmer in my sump....i have one euro reed skimmer rated at 200 gallons and another coralife skimmer rated at 100...and i have a fluval 405 filter hooked up aswell so im hopeing those should be good enough for the tank? also i have multiple snails and crabs and a urchin to help with the cleaning
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

btw this should be in marine chat, not buy and sell....
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
btw this should be in marine chat, not buy and sell....
moved.