Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 AM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road
Default In store fish labeling

I am wondering why more stores dont have little fact sheets beside the holding tanks informing people about there fish? It seems so simple.

I live near Edmonton and have only seen one store do this (Red Coral). I live way down by Millet and work on the far West end so I dont get over to Red Coral as much as id like, but this just seems like something that can really help people out.

I usually do my research before buying a fish but sometimes i see a name and price on the tank and 10 different types of fish.... I usually can figure out what kind of fish it is but what about newbeez?

Maybe something to look into
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

That's because Steve is awesome! I remember when they were making those info cards and trust me a lot of time and effort went into them. Unfortunately because of the amount of time and effort it takes to make cards like that I believe most stores would not have the desire or time to make them. However I agree they are a very valuable tool for customers to have access to while shopping.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but they wouldn't sell anything.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 AM

I dont think it would be to difficult. Go to Liveaquaria or something like that grab some info, a pic, print...easy. Hell put the price on it with one of those price guns. Just seems silly that stores dont do this.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 AM

And if its that time consuming i would be happy to loan my services.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I really like those ID cards at Red Coral & would love to see them at all store for a couple reasons. It might really help new people to SW realize that they need to research there upcoming purchases. It's also helpful for some of us with minds packed full of work, family & life stuff to remember curtain facts about a curtain spicies.

If Steve can do it with a store that has only 3 employees then why can other stores as well. I mean seriously the stores are not always pack with customers from open to close, have one of the employees do it that have a pation for the hobby who knows they might really enjoy doing it.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

maybe someone just needs to approach the store owner and suggest it to them or do it for them? :-)

Also, I have never been to Red Coral edmonton but I know that some store tanks in Calgary are tiny and have a few different fish in them so ID cards might clutter the tank in some cases ?

I do agree that it's a great idea though! In fact, I would extend that to corals as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_man16 View Post
I usually do my research before buying a fish but sometimes i see a name and price on the tank and 10 different types of fish.... I usually can figure out what kind of fish it is but what about newbeez?

Maybe something to look into
Labeling on the tank would be fantastic, but even then, I sometimes struggle trying to figure out what fish is what, and feel really stupid having to ask an employee, especially when they make you feel like a complete moron and you're ruining their life by just asking them what fish it is. I will often go in with a list of what I can and cant have, so research was done prior, but to me some fish just look so similar and I cant necessarily find it.... and argh!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
maybe someone just needs to approach the store owner and suggest it to them or do it for them? :-)

Also, I have never been to Red Coral edmonton but I know that some store tanks in Calgary are tiny and have a few different fish in them so ID cards might clutter the tank in some cases ?

I do agree that it's a great idea though! In fact, I would extend that to corals as well.
Red Corals has them on a index type thing that you flip through takes up minimal space. Like the coral idea to Kien, that would awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Labeling on the tank would be fantastic, but even then, I sometimes struggle trying to figure out what fish is what, and feel really stupid having to ask an employee, especially when they make you feel like a complete moron and you're ruining their life by just asking them what fish it is. I will often go in with a list of what I can and cant have, so research was done prior, but to me some fish just look so similar and I cant necessarily find it.... and argh!
Steve has pics of the fish on each card that make ID very easy.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Last edited by The Grizz; 01-31-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post

Steve has pics of the fish on each card that make ID very easy.
See that would be nice and easy, somebody needs to tell the folks at J&L to get on this, and stop acting like you're ruining their lives when you ask just because you're a nobody in the hobby *sigh*