Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM

allie_san is on a distinguished road
Default vertek puratek (100gpd unit) problems

Hoping someone can shed some light on this..

New unit, made about 100 gallons without a hitch about 2 weeks ago. Plug it in today to make some more water, check it about 5 hours later and there's barely a 1/4 garbage can full, also noticed zero waste water is coming out the drain tubing and the pressure gauge is at 100psi.
What gives? could one of the filters be plugged already or something?
I installed it using a self piercing saddle valve onto a copper line that is really close to where the water comes into the house.

Thanks!
Allison
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Turn the water at the piercing valve off. Then disconnect each line going into each filter one at a time with the water turned on again. You will soon find out where the trouble spot is, where there isn't any water pressure, Tedious yes.
Sometimes more often than not its at the restriction where the waste water goes into the drain. ie the flow restricter. Your filters should not be plugged at only 100 gal output. Check the flow restricter first.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 AM

I re-read your post, how big is your garbage can? How many gpd does your RO put out? If you have a 100 g per day unit it will only put out about 4 gal per hour which in 5 hrs is 20 gal
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM

heliman206 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issues with my puratek unit too. It is to do with the restrictor but I'm not exactly sure the position it should be in. I think it's 1 part good water to 2.5 parts waste water but even with that ratio mine is not producing what it should be. I'm taking around 100 psi right off my manifold too.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM

Took most everything apart, narrowed it down to something near the drain blocked. the little plastic insert that is in the last piece of drain tubing had 2 miniscule rocks stuck in it, got them out with the smallest sewing needle i own. Back in working order! Thanks for the advice
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman206 View Post
I'm having the same issues with my puratek unit too. It is to do with the restrictor but I'm not exactly sure the position it should be in. I think it's 1 part good water to 2.5 parts waste water but even with that ratio mine is not producing what it should be. I'm taking around 100 psi right off my manifold too.
Mine seems to make around 1:2 (at the least) waste water too.. not sure what it is. Source water too cold perhaps. Only runs at 60 psi normally though.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 AM

What position do you keep your valve in?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help with my puratek 100gpd or unit! Lol. So the flow restrictor is inside the one fitting right? And the valve is just a drain valve is it not? My unit just won't produce much water! My gauge is reading 80psi and will hold 80 psi even when I shut off the source water. I'm at my wits end with this puratek pos!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman206 View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help with my puratek 100gpd or unit! Lol. So the flow restrictor is inside the one fitting right? And the valve is just a drain valve is it not? My unit just won't produce much water! My gauge is reading 80psi and will hold 80 psi even when I shut off the source water. I'm at my wits end with this puratek pos!
Find where your flow restricter is on the drain tubing. I bet its plugged as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM

Yes I checked the flow restricter just before the valve and I don't think it was clogged. Checked all lines and fittings again and nothing was plugged. Filters are about 8 months old. Is the restricter basically a very fine screen?