Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-28-2001, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default which ro unit to get?

hey guys, i am looking into getting a RO unit.

which one do you guys use?

which one do you recommend?

how often do you need to replace cartridges?

how much does it cost, initially and to maintain?

thanks for any info.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:28 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

OK, I've got the ultimate answer for you!

Get a Reefpure RO/DI unit. You may have seen the discussion on the reefs.org and Reef Central boards. I have wanted an RO/DI unit for a while but the cost always seemed excessive. I was skeptical of all the "praise" on the boards, but I contacted Dave at Reefpure via email and asked him a bunch of questions, then actually called him. He gave me an unbelievable deal on a 100gpd 4-stage RO/DI unit, with all necessary fittings and a TDS meter.

I got the unit on Tuesday, and it's a top quality piece. Great construction, quality parts, and works as advertised. I've already processed 30 gallons with it and done a water change on both my tanks.

Sure beats driving to Safeway, filling two 5 gallons bottles for $2.99 each, carrying them around, and only getting RO water to boot!

I'm also going to approach J&L Aquatics and see if they are interested in being a Canadian distributor for Reefpure, so you might be able to get them from J&L as well? They are priced about half of the competitors, and Dave's customer service is great.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:40 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road

andrew
lets hear the numbers. whats the unit cost to buy, ship, how long etc. also what's the contact for this guy. and from others, how well are these units rated. i have only being considering spectrapure because we can get them easily, but if there is another option...
smokingreefman, we are going to buy a ro/di unit as well. may be some cost savings and further discounts if they can sell a couple in one go. shane
Old 09-28-2001, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

hey andrew,
would you mind sharing some #s with us. i really dont know what the going price is, or what is considered a good deal.

shane, yeah, if we went a MO route, we could save alot on shipping if we pooled orders i'd imagine.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:57 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I just use DI -- the tap water purifier kind. Works well around here. I can get 150 to 300 gals of clean water per cartriage. New cartriage cost $30...but you can DIY recharge it for $5.

- Victor.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:58 PM

FlameAngel is on a distinguished road

Yea I know Andrew,
The Kent unit isn't a bargain, but at the time I didn't even KNOW of reefpure, nor do I have a mailing box in Blaine. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

All I'm am saying, is that although the Kent model is more expensive it still does the job properly and as good as the reef pure... LOL

FlameAngel
P/S It's actually very very nice to know that someone HAS a mailing address in Blaine (wink, wink, for future US purchases) [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2001, 07:24 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road

damn, do we WANT to know why you have a mailbox in blaine?? lol, just kidding around. shane

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: Reefmaster ]
Old 09-28-2001, 09:48 PM

Hey Flame, nothing personal intended. I wasn't knocking the Kent unit, it's one of the best you can buy. It was just for comparison purposes.

And you're right, there wasn't much competition out there before, and Kent was pretty much the only quality choice in the reefkeeping industry. It's nice though now to see more competition, better products and lower prices!

As for the mailing address in Blaine, well that has served me well for more than 10 years. From performance parts for my cars, to eBay purchases, to my latest cash drain, reefkeeping, it is great for MO stuff from the US. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2001, 11:21 PM

Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Shadetree

It looks like the Reef Pure is a pretty good deal, I picked up a Kent 50 GPD Maxxima (4 stage) for $210 cdn from reefs.org classifieds. Be wary of the smokin deal and outstanding customer service from an unestablished company. Just look at Aqua FX. You CANNOT sell a high quality product with outstanding customer service and simply undercut the competition for long. Just ask anybody caught in the whole mess when Brian (read customer service) left Aqua FX, it took a while to pick up the slack left behind. On a brighter note, if you can get the deal that Andrew got, almost all of the replacement cartridges are inter changeable between the different brands.

Scott
Old 09-29-2001, 04:21 AM

OK here are the numbers and contact information.

Reefpure Website

Email addresses and phone numbers to contact Dave are available on the website.

I purchased a Tornado 4-Stage RO/DI 100gpd unit. Dave included a handheld TDS meter, all the fitings and plumbing parts I could possibly need, and included shipping to my postal address in Blaine, WA.

Now I promised Dave that I wouldn't tell people what I paid for the unit, as it was a special deal that he and I worked out over the phone, but I will say that it was much less than the retail price on the website.

If you call him directly, I'm sure he would extend the savings to you as well. He's starting a new company and needs the sales right now. He's got the products all ready, now he's just trying to get them into homes and get some exposure. That's why so many people are posting positive things about the products lately, they are trying to return the favor for the great deals they have been getting.

Marine Ecosystems has the ReefPure units on sale right now. 4-Stage RO/DI units (like the one I got) are $134.25 for a 50gpd, $149.25 for the 100gpd, and $194.25 for the 200gpd. (All prices are in US$)

But call Dave directly, and he will probably throw in a TDS meter and free shipping.

Anyone interested in the units is welcome to come by my place anytime and check it out in person.