Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 AM

swimfan is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer advice

I'm sure this is a commonly asked question, but would really appreciate opinions on skimmer selection, finally taking the plunge and have the funds to purchase a skimmer. Been reading as much literature as I can find. Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. The skimmer will be used on a 225 gallon with a 100 gallon sump. I am currently running a 75 gallon with some lps, but want something with the capability to eventually handle a large bio load. Hoping to keep it under 1500, don't care about names just want a solid workhorse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfan View Post
I'm sure this is a commonly asked question, but would really appreciate opinions on skimmer selection, finally taking the plunge and have the funds to purchase a skimmer. Been reading as much literature as I can find. Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. The skimmer will be used on a 225 gallon with a 100 gallon sump. I am currently running a 75 gallon with some lps, but want something with the capability to eventually handle a large bio load. Hoping to keep it under 1500, don't care about names just want a solid workhorse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
There's a huge dropout in the capability of a mega-sized skimmer, such as what you're looking for, to work on a system significantly below its rating (I.E. your system).

How soon do you plan to upgrade?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
There's a huge dropout in the capability of a mega-sized skimmer, such as what you're looking for, to work on a system significantly below its rating (I.E. your system).

How soon do you plan to upgrade?

My apologies I wasn't very clear of the set up. I currently have a 75 gallon with roughly 90lbs of live rock and a remora pro skimmer, has a medium bio load I will call that tank 1

Tank 2 is running right now it is an oddball size(aquarium calculator says it 115) It is going to become the sump to the 225, when it is ready, it has about a 150lbs of live rock in it plus basic of equipment. No livestock other than Copepods

Tank 3 is going to be the display tank. It is a 225 gallon freshwater(still running) with its own freshwater sump. my plan was to drain it in the very near future, refill it with saltwater, switch the drain lines from its freshwater sump to tank 2, let it acclimate, and when the parameters are good move the inhabitants and rock from tank 1 into the 225 and have just one saltwater tank roughly 325 -340 gallons of water. The initial bio load will be small, but want a skimmer that will accommodate my addiction, which slowly will become a medium to heavy bio load. Hoping to nail it and get the right skimmer now, so I don't have to buy another one for a long time

I apologize for such the long explanation, but really appreciate all of your input or criticism.

Just need the skimmer, last critical component I need. Was going to drain the 225, refill with fresh salt water mix and run it into tank 2(
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I could never justify spending $1300 on a skimmer. The csc is almost half the price with great reviews
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

[quote=swimfan;784506]Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. quote]

Well curiosity killed the cat and you have answered your own question \the Vertex cone 250 there is nothing wrong with that skimmer I have owned it and it was a brute and flawless. look at my name here I have pretty much owned every type of skimmer that has hit the market. hence the username. lol im not blowing my own horn however I have had many people on this site PM me on asking what skimmer to get for his or her system.

the 250 will work trust me.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
I could never justify spending $1300 on a skimmer. The csc is almost half the price with great reviews

I like the sounds of the csc 450. I could only find one review, that being said they were quite happy with it. Trust me I would rather not spend that much either. That's why I really want to do my homework on this purchase. Slightly hesitant to invest in such a new product, don't want to have to reinvest in the next year or two, if there is kinks to work out. I like the vertex, because of their longevity in this hobby. But agree twice the price is a big hit.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 AM

[quote=Skimmer King;784527]
Quote:
Curiosity has me interested in the csc450, but I really like the vertex alpha 250. quote]

Well curiosity killed the cat and you have answered your own question \the Vertex cone 250 there is nothing wrong with that skimmer I have owned it and it was a brute and flawless. look at my name here I have pretty much owned every type of skimmer that has hit the market. hence the username. lol im not blowing my own horn however I have had many people on this site PM me on asking what skimmer to get for his or her system.

the 250 will work trust me.

Appreciate the reply. Havent found any bad feedback on them, but the cheapskate in me hopes their is some serious competition to it for less money. Lol
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Pm Waynemah. He's running the csc on his 225.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Pm Waynemah. He's running the csc on his 225.

Waynemah is the only review I could find, but thanks for the help Titus99. I like the idea of the double sicce pumps, but that also can lead to more things that can break. That being said, they could afford to break quite a few times before they equal the cost of the red dragon.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Waynemah is the only review I could find, but thanks for the help Titus99. I like the idea of the double sicce pumps, but that also can lead to more things that can break. That being said, they could afford to break quite a few times before they equal the cost of the red dragon.
The RD on the Alpha isn't as expensive as people think it is to replace ($250ish).