Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM

NuraNori is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Radion G2 vs 3 Vega

I know this is the age old debate on this forum, AI or Radion. I am setting up a 5' x 30W x 26"H tank and am looking for a little advise from people that are using these lights and from people who have seen the Vega in action. I am wondering whether to go with 2 Radion G2's or 3 Vega's for my tank. I am not looking to go full sps or anything.

My questions are on spread of 2 Radions over this length and the pop of Vegas on LPS coral.

Let me know your thoughts.

Nora
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

2 radions may not be very good for that type of tank the spread isnt great enough

vega suck,period.....ai anything sucks not much of a debate their compared to ecotech.

honestly i would go either 2 ghl or 2 x pros or possibly sunbrights,new ati coming out soon as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
....ai anything sucks not much of a debate their compared to ecotech.

lol, give your head a shake! The SOL and the Radion are pretty much on par. Slight differences in spread vs. penetration, but in action, provide similar results. Is a $400 SOL comparable to a $1200 Mitras? No, of course not, but saying anything AI is crap is just wrong.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Radion Gen 2 vs Gen 1

Be careful when comparing the Radions. The Gen 2s are quite a bit stronger (20 -40%) than Gen 1s. I have both, and really noticed a difference.

I have never owned the AI's or other LEDs, so can't say much about them. But have read that the spread for Radions is better (than the AIs) when closer to the water. I have mine 8 inches above, and they seem to work very well at that level.

I have mine in canopies, and I like the Radion cooling. They have fans that exit the air at the top sides, so are good for mounting in a canopy without restricting air movement. My canopies exit air at the top rear, and run quite cool (esp compared to my old T5s).
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Be careful when comparing the Radions. The Gen 2s are quite a bit stronger (20 -40%) than Gen 1s. I have both, and really noticed a difference.

Fair enough, I haven't seen them yet. But my SOL tank looks just like any Radion G1 tank I've seen as far as light and overall look and coral coloration is concerned.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
lol, give your head a shake! The SOL and the Radion are pretty much on par.

how so?? considering were talking g2 not g1

Slight differences in spread vs. penetration

there def is,slight being being night and day, remember were talking g2 so par is much better

but in action, provide similar results.

so do alot of leds doesnt mean they are even comparable

Is a $400 SOL comparable to a $1200 Mitras? No, of course not,

obviously, which is why i said to go that route, if you can afford it, same with the radion pros.

but saying anything AI is crap is just wrong . no actually i really believe the aqua illumination is crap and i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt do much more of anything with their lights in the future, have you used the vega yet?? sorry if i offfended you buy yah its crap in fact ill repeat it....anything ai IMO is crap, is it worth $400....maybe , on its best day, 2 years ago
:P

remember you can get 2 g2 for the price of three Ai sols , they arnt even in the same category , the g2 isnt in the same category as the pros or mitras as well either so aot has to do with your budget , spec wise there are great differences in them all
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Just a guy..

Forget you, I'm not even gonna try to respond to inline multi quote stuff before at least 3 more coffees
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Sols and radions are not on par not even close.... Same goes for vegas

To the OP go radions over Vegas. I think 2 will do just fine, if you go to sps dominant you may need to add one later

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca

Last edited by subman; 01-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Forget you, I'm not even gonna try to respond to inline multi quote stuff before at least 3 more coffees
Lol...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:

ok ill admit im pre coffee as well.

its like this will the ai sol work....absolutely , it does the job.

my biggest beef with them is not being able to keep up with the standards that ecotech , ghl and soon to be ati are setting.

lets say they decide to revamp the vega i may have another opinion but right now the vega was an epic failure and needs some revisions, how many stores can you go to and buy a vega off the shelf??

dont get me wrong the radions has their ups and downs as well , we will see what the pros do but i can guarantee the pros are an improvement by far on the g1

the vega was not that much of an improvement on the sol , maybe they will come out with a better light next year but if they dont they run the risk of losing their standings with a comparable market led.

overall on a 5 ft x 30" tank 2 radions g2 arnt gonna be enough , 3 sols will

if its price then 3 sols are a given but if theres a better budget then either 2 pros( released this week) or 2 ghls are a much better option....more expensive by far but def a better buy longterm.

then theres the diy route....