Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM

Calgarynewtankguy is on a distinguished road
Default comparing skimmers

I have a 150 Gal display and 40 gal sump/refugium. I was running a red sea C skim 1200 that i bought used and now it doesnt seem to be able to main tain a good skim. have to play with it to even get it to bubble to the top of the cup. I am fairly new to this hobby. I am looking at 2 skimmers to replace it and wanted to hear some experience from both they are:

Reef Life support R8

Super reef octopus 2000 internal

both are internal skimmers but I am too new to decide which would work better for me. any thoughts?
33 gal sump/refugium
Sun System Tek-light T5 6 bulb
Mag18 return pump
RLSS R8i skimmer
Neptune Apex controller
BRS combe reactor (carbon GFO)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

If you're willing to spend $500 on the RLSS then i would look at the SRO 3000 instead of the 2000.

That said, i love my SRO 3000 EXT. Great build quality, excellent pump, easy to adjust and very consistent. If you get neck cleaner too it works even better. Mine pulls about 2 litre's of black goo every week and i haven't had to fiddle with it in over 2 months.

The internal SRO's work best in 6" of water though so you may need to make a little stand for it if your sump level is too deep.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 AM

claymax is on a distinguished road

or you could wait until reef octopus comes out with their dc line of skimmers, they use the same pump as the rlss and will hopefully be a bit cheaper. the air draw numbers on those pumps are sick!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Time is going to be a problem. My water condition is starting to reflect the poor skimming I have right now. So the sooner the better. My wife is going to do water changes until I can get the skimmer on place.

I will definitely look into the SRO 3000 but I have to go with an internal model do to space issues.
33 gal sump/refugium
Mag18 return pump
RLSS R8i skimmer
Neptune Apex controller
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i have one r8-i left in stock i cant keep these skimmers in the store they sell the minute the land , reef octopuss is a good choice as well.

skimmz has a leopard series which is also dc and run the same pumps as R-O and rlss
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Denny, I sent you an email. I will take that R8 just need a full price with tax and my wife will pick it up later today
33 gal sump/refugium
Mag18 return pump
RLSS R8i skimmer
Neptune Apex controller
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarynewtankguy View Post
Denny, I sent you an email. I will take that R8 just need a full price with tax and my wife will pick it up later today

ahhh ok i havent done emails yet im slow today and still home lol , ill be in shortly and will get an email to you as soon as im in

cheers

denny
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post

skimmz has a leopard series which is also dc and run the same pumps as R-O and rlss
Denny do you have the leopard skimmers I was under the assumption that they never released them
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Denny do you have the leopard skimmers I was under the assumption that they never released them

no we havent gotten them in yet , they are being released soon.

right now only rlss has the dc skimmers out and in production to my knowlege , dave would know more about that though then me

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

dont hold your breathe on the Leopard. While the Skimz body is amazing and the reason why we have adopted them on the CSC range of skimmers using Sicce pumps which has produced phenomenal reviews here on Canreef. Skimz supplied electronics come with a very difficult to manage warranty process.

Because we love the bodies so much and did not want to lose access to such a fine piece of engineering we redeveloped the CSC range using Sicce pumps supplied direct to us where we have full control over the warranties

so for us or anyone to go gung ho into the leapard with their DC pump would be a concern, so for now we are working with Skimz to produce the Leopard with a Sicce pump under our CSC branding.

So far we have not been able to get the performance figures that we require and are still playing around with fine tuning the Sicce to pull enough to run the Leopard. I do not imagine any launch until this Fall.

As always honest frank and open, but important everyone has the right info.

As it stands the CSC 150, 250 and 450 have been exceeded all expectations both in review and sales and this makes us question is there a market for another engineered skimmer to the line