Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road
Cool LEDs vs Metal halides.

I still cannot figure out how light emitting diodes (leds) can light up a tank as good as halides.
the Leds for reefs are they any different than the ones that you get in a flashlight? technology is great but it seems im always one step behind everyone else. ive moved from halides to T5s although cheaper to run still not as shimmering as Leds or halides. thoughts on Leds? halides? t5s? is one really much better than the other?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjaxon View Post
is one really much better than the other?
Depends on what you want. LEDs have tons of great features that make them better than the other 2. Honestly, I don't think any of the 3 are that much better than the other 2, regardless of what the other 2 are. LEDs don't have the same color or punch as MH. MH doesn't have the dimming and color changing abilities, and run a lot hotter and more expensive. T5 is a good middle ground, but no shimmer. Lots of bulb choices, and can make a tank look really good if you're not big on shimmer. They can be dimmed (with more trouble than LED). MH don't dim. you pick your color and go with it until next bulb change. LED has no bulb change. T5 has more frequent. Less money per bulb, more bulbs to change.

I think LED probably have more good features than the other 2. I do miss my MH, but I wouldn't give up some of the stuff I have with my LED.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM

how about livestock response on leds? corals respond good?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
how about livestock response on leds? corals respond good?
Ya, mostly stayed the same. I'm almost exclusively SPS. One piece, a pink with blue milli, went completely blue. Recently my lime in th esky acro, normally green with blue tips, turned completely baby blue. Overall a bit less pop in color, but not drastic. It's a reasonable trade off for the benefits. Ramping profiles, color control, cost, no heat, quiet, no fans needed, no bulb changes, etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

It really depends what you want. I left t5s because I loved the shimmering halides offered. Loved the halides.... Hated the heat and power consumption so switched to LEDs and I love the control ability, lower heat and power consumption and not having to replace bulbs.

That being said not all LEDs are equal. The difference between led fixtures can as vast as comparing Mh to t5 to leds

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
That being said not all LEDs are equal. The difference between led fixtures can as vast as comparing Mh to t5 to leds

I have AI SOL lights, which I feel are comparable to Radion, for the most part. I think either of these two are a good entry point. I also like the Kessil 350 lights for smaller tanks. Going up, you have Vertex or Mitras as the latest top end.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks Subman, never thought of that, Led quality.... once you buy them your pretty much stuck with whatever lumens and kelvins the bulbs put out. unlike Mh or T5s you really cant change the bulbs, well i guess you could but not really feasible Id imagine.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks Subman, never thought of that, Led quality.... once you buy them your pretty much stuck with whatever lumens and kelvins the bulbs put out. unlike Mh or T5s you really cant change the bulbs, well i guess you could but not really feasible Id imagine.
on the contrary. Subman is very qualified to tell you that swapping out LEDs is quite easy.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM

chaoticbliss is on a distinguished road

I have a 3' Vertex Illumina 260 and love it! I also have 5 extra LED pads installed, 3 reds and 2 UV's. the customization available on these units is amazing. The fact that it doesn't heat my tank everyday or require fans to keep temps stable is great. It even calculates my monthly costs to operate and with the program I have running its about $7.50 a month!! Also there is no need to run the LED's at full strength either. My whites run max 40%, blue and royal blue around 70% peak and reds fluctuate through the day to help create a sun rise/set. UV runs around 50% throughout the day and is also used at night with the blues following a realistic moon cycle.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
on the contrary. Subman is very qualified to tell you that swapping out LEDs is quite easy.
Lol and expensive!

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca