Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road
Talking Opinions on upgrading to LEDs!

Greetings fellow Canreefers!

I have decided it's time to upgrade my 180 G tank from MH to LED! Tank dimensions are 5x2x2.

I've done a bunch of homework on some systems, but I was hoping those with experience would provide better insight!

So far I've looked at:
- Vertex Illumina 4'
- Ecotech Marine Radions
- AI Sol

For my 12 G Fluval Edge, I've been running a small ecoxotic LED strips (Blue with white and solid Blue) and have noticed lower power usage and exceptional coral growth!

So I wanted some feedback on preferred LED systems that you guys and gals are using.

Some things i'm looking for:
- cost effectiveness

- Heat sink (ie. do I have to spend more $$$ on equipment to keep my tank cooler?

- Performance (ie.wanting to have SPS,LPS,Fish ect.)

- Technology (ie. wireless compatibility, ease of use of software for programable units.)

All Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Check out this site good prices & quality
http://www.aq-led.com/index.php?rout...ory&path=88_73
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

i would look at the Mitras as far as commercial fixtures go. As far as cheaper ones i would check out Evergrow or one of the black box style Chineese units if you are looking to save money.

There is a thread here with some talk of the Evergrow units and a couple places to get them (1 is a canadian reseller or direct from factory).

Or if you are looking for Mitras/Radion/ect.. just look at almost any of the sponsors to get one (i would drop the vertex personally i think they are very overpriced for what you get).
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I have or currently owned radions, Vegas, sols and mitras. All are good fixtures and you will save money on power and keep your tank cooler without a doubt.
As far as controllability goes the Mitra and radions are very easy to control and setup. The Vegas and sols are miles behind with the controllers they sell absolute garbage imho.

When it comes to coverage the Mitra is better than all I have the over my six footer and I have better coverage with it than for of the others.
The radions are next with slightly better coverage than the ai products.

The next big thing to look at in led fixtures is discoball effect and again the Mitra is on top with very very little to no discoball effect at all. The radions at next in this category as well there is some but not overly distracting. I would put the sols next strictly because of the lack of colored leds, the Vegas have substantial discoball effect.

As you can see overall the mitras are on top and I am very impressed with them. I still love the radions and think they are amazing lights. The sols are a great cheaper option and are very durable and effective light. The Vegas were a huge disappointment to me, it was a fixture I looked forward to and was first in line to buy them but was quickly disappointed in the performance of the fixture.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to DIY LED set ups. If you cant do it yourself try to find someone who will. They far exceed any commercial fixture I have ever seen.

I purchased a Sunbrite F series last year and it is ok. Does very well on all corals, but for the same price I could have gotten a maxxed out DIY done for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadco View Post
My vote goes to DIY LED set ups. If you cant do it yourself try to find someone who will. They far exceed any commercial fixture I have ever seen.

I purchased a Sunbrite F series last year and it is ok. Does very well on all corals, but for the same price I could have gotten a maxxed out DIY done for me.
+1 on the DIY. I like my DIY build and could not get the same thing out of a manufactured fixture and the cost was half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewherebeyondthesea View Post
I have decided it's time to upgrade my 180 G tank from MH to LED!
I think to be accurate, let's call this a change rather than an upgrade
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

Another question is: Is your tank in a cabinet? or is the top open?

because i have not seen a single diy unit suited to hang above an open tank unless your tank is located in a mechanic/welding shop(in my opinion).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
Check out this site good prices & quality
http://www.aq-led.com/index.php?rout...ory&path=88_73
Nice Link! thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I have or currently owned radions, Vegas, sols and mitras. All are good fixtures and you will save money on power and keep your tank cooler without a doubt.
As far as controllability goes the Mitra and radions are very easy to control and setup. The Vegas and sols are miles behind with the controllers they sell absolute garbage imho.

When it comes to coverage the Mitra is better than all I have the over my six footer and I have better coverage with it than for of the others.
The radions are next with slightly better coverage than the ai products.

The next big thing to look at in led fixtures is discoball effect and again the Mitra is on top with very very little to no discoball effect at all. The radions at next in this category as well there is some but not overly distracting. I would put the sols next strictly because of the lack of colored leds, the Vegas have substantial discoball effect.

As you can see overall the mitras are on top and I am very impressed with them. I still love the radions and think they are amazing lights. The sols are a great cheaper option and are very durable and effective light. The Vegas were a huge disappointment to me, it was a fixture I looked forward to and was first in line to buy them but was quickly disappointed in the performance of the fixture.

Wow thanks for the info! this was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!