Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road
Default Angels spawning! Please share your experience.

So I rescued the two beautiful angels, one black, one white and had to keep them in separate tanks due to agression.

At intervals, I would try them in the same tank to see if the agression had changed with no success. Until a month and a half ago.

The black angel, the aggressor did initially go after the white but then started to flutter and shake....that explained a lot.

So after 3 weeks of courting, they spawned. White laying eggs, black fertilizing. However, nearly the entire clutch turned white within 24 hours and then the pair ate them all.

Second spawn two weeks later, about 65% turned white within 24 hours and the pair ate them all.

I understand that a mated pair should spawn a couple of times to "get the hang of things" and I am releasing the urge to interfere and control the process, but if anyone has experience, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

So then am I to assume that no one has Angels? I have kept them in with my Discus until now but will be moving them into the sweet 25 gallon hex tank I got from Vitaminz. That way there is no stress from either parties.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Most people here are saltwater, so that's prolly why your not getting much advice.

Years ago I had freshwater angels, and every pair except one ONCE ate their eggs. I raised quite a few by grabbing the eggs as soon as they started to wiggle and raising them myself. It was years ago, but they have to have bubbles of air and The water treated with some sort of anti fungicide .. Meth blue maybe? Oh and lots and lots of newly hatched baby brine shrimp!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

I had to take a sec to see if you're talking about freshwater or saltwater angels.

Saltwater angels (Centropyge spp) have long larval periods (60 days+) and spawn pelagic eggs that hatch the same day, so obviously not what you have.

I spawned freshwater angels years ago. There's plenty on the web about it. The key to success for me was to have a dedicated tank to them and to cover all sides with plastic. They eat their eggs 1) if they're dead, 2) if they're inexperienced, 3) if they feel threatened (ie eggs will be lost anyway, too much activity around, they picked a bad spawn site, might as well eat them.)

It sounds like there may be a fertilization or broodstock nutrition issue with the high percentage of dead eggs. Maybe they'll get it right after a few spawnings. I had success leaving the eggs with the parents for incubation, where they'll just eat the infected/dead eggs. Once free swimming, you have to separate the larvae from parents. Naturally this is when they would disperse (discus is different). Feed newly hatched brine shrimp and wean them onto dried foods.

Warning- don't expect more than a buck per angel (body at loonie size) from your LFS. they're not particularly valuable, so only do this for fun and your enjoyment. Large scale farms raise FW angels out of ponds and have low expenses.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
It sounds like there may be a fertilization or broodstock nutrition issue with the high percentage of dead eggs. Maybe they'll get it right after a few spawnings.
That is what I'm thinking. The male seems too distracted chasing others away to be properly fertilizing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
Warning- don't expect more than a buck per angel (body at loonie size) from your LFS.
Oh gosh, no. I would not be looking at this at all. I'm looking at an educational program by setting up community tanks around our small town with rescued fish.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post

Oh gosh, no. I would not be looking at this at all. I'm looking at an educational program by setting up community tanks around our small town with rescued fish.
Sounds neat!