Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road
Default P04 making corals unhappy

As per the title:i have HA and valonia in my system but when i test the water for P04/N03(API test kit) it reads ZERO.so i decided to purchase a Hanna P04 test kit 4 days and my phosphate is thru the roof...i don't have any fish in my tank and i just dose Zeovit Pohl's xtra every day,sponge power and coral vitalizer 2x per week.so,i went to j&L yesterday and got some Chaeto and another TLF reactor/rowaphos to help lower the excess nutrients.i've had to put buying SPS and LPS on hold til my tank recovers.not really sure if it's my LR leeching P04 or it's coming from the D/I filter?suggestions?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Yup, before I got my Hanna Phosphate Checker, I too, thought my P04 was OK. I first brought my N03 to zero with my bio-pellets and MB7, and then finished the job with my GFO reactor to get my phosphates near zero as well.

I think the live rock and sand do hold P04, and of course with feeding, you are always adding more. Only way to get it down all the way is with GFO or a similar product.

BTW, I used to run a refugium full of Chaeto, and it barely made a dent in my N03 and P04. Maybe it works to help keep it low once you have it down, but it sure didn't do much for me when both N03 and P04 were high in my tank.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 12-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

What level do you consider 'through the roof'? Is it possible you are contaminating your test at some point? It seems odd that you get such different readings. If you are running GFO already, at close to manufacturer recommended qty and flow rate, I would suggest changing the GFO rather than adding more. If you are concerned about your DI, just run a test on your RODI water, it is easy to rule out. I would expect below ~0.20ppm PO4 coming out of RODI. If it is significantly above this, you will either need to slow the flow through the DI, or change it, but it is hard to know which without knowing how fast your flow is and without the actual results from your testing.
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Using the Hanna high range p04 checker,it read 12 ppm.unfortunately,i only have an API D/I unit not an RO/DI and the source of p04 is THE D/I unit.so,i ordered an RO/DI unit and GFO high capacity from BRS just now.i've had to put my sps corals in my brother' tank til the problem is resolved...i don't wanna lose my corals and especially my beloved Ice fire echinata!thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM

sully08 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone recommend a good GFO ?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully08 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good GFO ?

rowaphos
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default readings

you might want to check your nitrates at the same time.you can build an inexpensive nitrate reactor if you get high readings
Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVLEM09 View Post
Using the Hanna high range p04 checker,it read 12 ppm.unfortunately,i only have an API D/I unit not an RO/DI and the source of p04 is THE D/I unit.so,i ordered an RO/DI unit and GFO high capacity from BRS just now.i've had to put my sps corals in my brother' tank til the problem is resolved...i don't wanna lose my corals and especially my beloved Ice fire echinata!thanks guys.
Save-on in North Van has a RO/DI station where you can fill up jugs. Maybe head there and get some water for a few water changes while waiting for your BRS RO/DI.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestion...i was actually thinking about doing that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Save-on in North Van has a RO/DI station where you can fill up jugs. Maybe head there and get some water for a few water changes while waiting for your BRS RO/DI.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 AM

Ryan-b is on a distinguished road

Are you using the ppb p04 Hanna reader if so you need to multiply the number by 3.066/1000. Which would be .037 which is pretty decent.