Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 AM

carriej is on a distinguished road
Default Bubble in primary seal - help!

*&%@#*($%@(&

Rawr.

I have had such a darn journey to get this tank set up. Bought a brand new tank to avoid issues - and what do we have...

Tank has been set up for 2 months, just discovered this...

Almost at the very top. Bubble in main seal. 125 gallon perfecto tank.

What do I do... I'm about to pitch a fit if I need to drain this thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Don't sweat it, there is no way that will cause a failure. Of course realize this is internet advice and carries no warranty...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 AM

It's in my basement on a concrete slab. Honestly, it can't hurt anything if it explodes. Water will just go down the drain. Along with my hopes and dreams.. LOL

I'm more worried about my future livestock and corals. I would be TICKED if I wasted $1000 on living things and my tank failed... I don't care if the seam is "ugly" or what-have-you.

It has lifetime warranty but I don't want to go through that hassle if this does not effect the structure of the tank.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

What soapy said. I'm no tank builder either, but from the looks of it the 'bubble' is in the layer of silicone that is applied after the glass panes are actually bonded together. If not mistaken, a layer of silicone is added at all seams after the tank is assembled & smoothed out to give that 'finished' look. If that tank isn't leaking right now, I wouldn't sweat it. Clearly the quality control person was having an off day. But this is the internet after all....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM

It's in the silicone that sandwiches the two panes of glass together. I understood this as the "primary seal". I have no idea how to build a tank, but a buddy of mine does quite a bit of it. He says not to worry but man... I am not loaded and would be so disappointed to have a tank explode and lose a bunch of fish and corals.

That other bubble you see is actually in the water caused by powerhead.. We are looking at the lengthwise skinny bubble in the seam.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

That's why my next tank is black silicone. Can't see the bubbles
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

It's typical, pretty hard to build a tank without some bubbles in the seam. If you only have one you're doing pretty good. That's certainly not going to cause any issues.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Look around at most of the custom tanks around and I'd be amazed if any had a seal as pristine as that. You have only one bubble that's actually pretty amazing. Evey tank I've had no matter how nice they look have had plenty of bubbles. I think I was told once that as the seals cure and tighten up they can actually create those marks.

My 225 was black silicone and I worried even more lol. I could see the joint lighten in colour as I filled the tank and the pull on the seam increased.

That tank looks very well built.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

lots of tanks have bubbles in the seal its no biggie , start looking at other peoples tanks and i bet you will find more.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

With a bubble like that you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm sure you have a top brace around the top of the tank ie a euro race or a plastic brace. These will act as a secondary control in that area of the tank and also just keep an eye on the bubble, it won't just cause a fail instantly it would gradually spread until it caused a fail. 99% sure you have nothing to fear, and if it means anything I work with glass and silicone regularily.