Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for GHL reviews from users...

Hi all,
I am now planning a second tank and thinking about trying the Mitras. It may be a bit early but I'm looking for some real user reviews on these lights and not sales pitches please.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Can one of the mods amend the title from "GHL" to GHL Mitras?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I have 4 on order I think there are only 3 users here in canreef that have the light that I know of. If you check out sphelps build thread he has it.

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

rodneyri on RC is getting amazing results.

I am holding off on the Mitras until the Radion Pro is out. If I can get similar coloration from upgrading my Radions, I will be happy.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I have three, what exactly is it you're looking for or want to know? I did a bit of a blurb in my build thread when I got them.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Steve, how do you feel the Mitras compares to MH as far as visual color appearance? Any disco? I think you've only had them for 3 weeks, right? So you can't really comment on growth and what coral color the lights produce. I'm checking out rodneyri's results...seems he's had the Mitras the longest.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Yeah about three weeks now.

Color is really good, definitely comparable to metal halides and there is zero disco effect. I've seen the disco effect in Radions, the GHLs are substantially better.

I do have new growth starting in SPS colonies and frags I've recently acquired, unless you run them side by side with another light source it'll be hard to find direct comparison results as far as growth goes. The bottom line is these do definitely grow coral. I still run them pretty low as far as output goes as well, I'll be cranking them up shortly. I also still need to get my Ca reactor tuned better to match the tank, Alk is currently pretty high so conditions aren't optimal yet.

The one I really like is that everything in the tank is happy, SPS holding color, soft corals fully expanded, LPS corals fully expanded with good color. Plus the tank is 32" deep and I have some SPS pretty low, montipora is even currently on the sand bed and doing well. This has definitely not been the case for me with previous lighting, it's almost like I can put things anywhere and they do well. I think it comes down to a very even light distribution.

I did take a few snapshots of pretty much all the SPS when first introduced so I will be able to present growth shots down the road.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-03-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hey that's great Steve! I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon, but so far I haven't really found a fixture that seems good enough to bother, you know? I'm liking the comments about the Mitras. The biggest complaint seems to be software (also the easiest fix). I'm having a hard time with the price though considering how quickly LED units are being upgraded and modified, and the newness of the Mitras units. I mean already the Mitras has been upgraded to wireless, that's a huge change, and I wouldn't be happy if I bought the first version with the wireless coming out so soon afterwards. When I buy lights, I want them to last at least 4 or 5 years before I upgrade. Oh the indecision...

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM

While I've had the occasional discretion with GHL support staff I have to admit the company is very customer focused, more so than most. The products are also rock solid and only released when they are ready. There was a reason this light was in production for so long and obviously things changed during this time, don't think you can hold that against them. Other companies have different motivations, get working models out the door and replace them each year with new versions and make promises regarding upgrade kits but don't release them until well after new models are in stores, there are obvious reasons for this but it's certainly not customer focused. The Mitras has been well thought out, while other companies will scramble to get new models out to compete GHL will likely focus on improving software and firmware like they always have with Profilux. Even when Profilux was eventually to upgraded to 3, DIY upgrade kits for P2 users were made available at the same time. GHL products also typically hold value well, the prices don't drop dramatically shortly after release, I don't think a P3 cost much less now than it did a few years ago.

In terms of the Radion Pro, I have a hard time understanding the extra $300 for HV LEDs. Given the history I wouldn't expect that price to hold long. The price difference between the Radion Pro and Mitras isn't really that much either and for some tanks the Mitras is more cost efficient due to it's wider coverage.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Also in terms of the software I'm not sure what the issues are, I think it's great but I'm use to GHL software from the Profilux I've had for several years. Might be a little learning curve for those unfamiliar, plus any real issues would be fixed by GHL in short time. Some beta testing to expected with new products. I can also tell you the GHL software offers way more control than Ecotech, I don't think Vegas even have software yet plus don't forget the GHL has on board control, can't think of any other contenders that have that.

Tags
ghl mitras