Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM

RenHoek104 is on a distinguished road
Default Odyssea Lights

I'm thinking, maybe aloud, about buying a new light fixture for my 33 gallon. I was wondering, what do you think about Odyssea MH ADV 24" or 30"? I heard that with MH I'm better off hanging it to reduce the heat transfer to the aquarium, do you agree?
Thanks,
Ren

PS: I know I ask a lot of questions, but I'm hoping to one day be able enough to return the favour.
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

From my personal experience the Odyssea systems are excellent; however the bulbs are not great at all, I have been running Odyssea light on smaller aquariums for a long time, and they have always been up to snuff.

Hanging will still give heat back into the aquarium mate, if you have a controller with a temperature probe you could control a small fan blowing on the surface to help exhaust some of the heat, I have a 178w MH Odyssea over a nano cube now; the light creates quite a bit of heat, however does an excellent job of lighting.

Plan to have a little bit of air movement over the top of the tank, and I think you should be just dandy.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 PM

syncro is on a distinguished road

I have the 24" with a MH + 4 T5 bulbs + moon. This was my first fixture and pretty happy with it. Great value. No problems.

Bulbs: 10K MH + actinic T5s look really good color-wise though I've never owned anything else. In the past few months my nice green algae has been replaced with cyano. Some have guessed that it might be the 1 year old MH bulb. I am dubious but it is a possibility.

Heat: puts out a ton of heat. As Northernseacorals suggested I have a small fan hooked to a controller. During the summer the fan is running at least 50% while the MH light is on which means a lot of evaporation (around 1g on a 45g system). Now that it is colder outside the fan rarely runs.

Quality: construction is a bit cheap feeling. No problems with it though. In the past there have been problems with the ballast causing fires. Apparently they moved to a new design a few years back that solved the (serious) problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default odyssea

I've got a set of the 4 bulb t5ho odyssea lights and I'm pretty happy with them for the price. But if u can, definatly buy different daytime bulbs. Odysseas blue lights are actually pretty good.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I've got the 48" 2- 250W MH, T5, LED moon light combo and it's never given me any problems either. Like Syncro, I thought the bulbs were ok and they worked well. I struggled a bit with algae so I broke down and bought Hamilton bulbs. Gotta say, what a difference. A decent quality bulb is waaaaayyyy better than cheapies.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

I have heard some complaints about the Odyssea MH bulbs wrt excessive algae growth. I use 14K Hamilton's on two different systems and am happy with them, but find I still need to top up the lower end (420nm) with some actinics to get my purples to really pop.

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenHoek104 View Post
I'm thinking, maybe aloud, about buying a new light fixture for my 33 gallon. I was wondering, what do you think about Odyssea MH ADV 24" or 30"? I heard that with MH I'm better off hanging it to reduce the heat transfer to the aquarium, do you agree?
Thanks,
Ren

PS: I know I ask a lot of questions, but I'm hoping to one day be able enough to return the favour.
24" and 30" is exactly the same light. Only fixture size is different.
For 33Gal i would get a 2x150 though if you can find one as cheap as Odyssea. Better light spred then single bulb and less heat then 250W.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24in-Meta...ht-p/54261.htm
http://www.aquatraders.com/30in-Meta...ht-p/54262.htm
or
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-...ht-p/56208.htm
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Quick question, should I get a 2 or 4 bulb T5 system? I was told a MH might be too intense for my tank and create too much heat (LFS owner). He said T5s will be enough, now I'm looking at Odyssea and Aquatic Life. Any suggestions?
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM

http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4...re-p/52324.htm

Does anyone know if these legs are adjustable? I have a Waterhome tank (31.5" / 80 cm long) and I would need to bring in the legs for it to fit. However, I can't find any information on their legs and their adjustments. Can anyone help me out?
Ren
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

On my 48" fixture the legs adjust the full length of the fixture, so I could make it fit various lengths of tanks, probably from 52" or so down, but it doesn't adjust width wise. The legs are a set 16" wide, which is a bit sketchy on my 16" tank.