Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 AM

wmcinnes is on a distinguished road
Default Lens adaptor question..

Firstly, be warned that I basically have no experience in photography or SLRs other than what I have gathered from reading.

I recently found my grandpa's old Minolta XG9 SLR and Minolta lenses which he gave me years ago. I have been told that the Micro 4/3 Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless DSLRs are the way to go in order to use these lenses with an adapter.
I have been able to find relatively cheap pricing on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 w/ 14-42mm kit lens and just wanted to run this by all you professional photographers in this forum!

I also want to purchase a quality Macro lens and want to know what everyone recommends. From my understanding, you can nearly purchase any lens brand you want as long as you find a proper fitting adapter, correct?

Thanks

Rainforest of the Sea
First 90g Reef
Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 AM

I am interested in the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro lens but it is fitted for Nikon or Canon. Could I get a Canon EOS EF to Micro 4/3 mount adapter for the Lumix GX1? There are probably better places to ask this stuff but I thought I'd try here first!

Rainforest of the Sea
First 90g Reef
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 AM

???

Rainforest of the Sea
First 90g Reef
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 AM

imisky is on a distinguished road

micro 4/3 is good but limiting in some ways. I own one and its great for traveling but most of my daily photography is still done on a DSLR.

You can get an adapter to convert EF to M4/3 but keep in mind most lenses are designed without that extra space the adapter will add, so chances are you will lose the ability to focus to infinity (it wont focus properly). another thing to keep in mind is the crop ratio, some lenses are made for 35mm standards, others made for APSC (smaller sensors) the smaller you go the less of the lens it uses. you your 105mm could effectively become 150mm or more.