Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM

RenHoek104 is on a distinguished road
Default API Tap Water Filter question

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is there anyway to reuse the filter cartridge once it has turned purple/blue? I know that if we heat activated carbon we can bring it back to life, but I was wondering if the same could be done with the filter. It uses adsorption right? So if the film is removed it should go back to its original self.

If anyone has input I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll try it out and give you news.

Ren
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Yes, you can recharge them, but it's an ugly process. I recall it's hydrochloric acid and lye(?). I used to do it years ago, but I would do several at a time, and if you do it indoors, you're likely to kill your family with fumes. And burn stuff with acid. And you have to neutralize the mixture before disposing of it, and I doubt it's good for your plumbing. And it sucks doing it.

Buy a cheap RO unit, you'll be much happier.

If you insist on it, Google API Tap Water Filter recharge
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Found it for you. I'm that nice!

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/twp_recharge.html
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM

RenHoek104 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply. Isn't the recharge recipe the exact same one from Fight Club?

I do like your "cheap RO unit" any recommendations? I'll probably buy one this summer when I'm out of school and my income is a bit higher than right now.

Ren
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenHoek104 View Post

I do like your "cheap RO unit" any recommendations? I'll probably buy one this summer when I'm out of school and my income is a bit higher than right now.

Ren
nothing off the top of my head, but stuff comes up here used, check local papers, etc. I'm pretty sure after one bout with the recharge stuff, you'll sacrifice some KD to find the cash now