Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM

RenHoek104 is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble with Ammonia

Hey guys,

I need help. My tank was fully cycled and everything was fine. My LFS told me that everything was fine and I started to add corals and invertebrates. Everything was fine.

However, about 3 weeks ago my LFS representative and myself checked my parameters and I had ammonia, to his surprise as well as mine. I've tried adding an ammonia remover pad, to no avail. I've added some Seachem Prime, to no avail. I've added ATM Colony as well, a little bit because it scares me. I have about 15lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of base rock. Is it because I don't have enough live rock? I'm also using 40 lbs of live sand (Arag and Ocean Direct both by CaribSea) and I have an Eshopps PSK-100H for a 33 gallon tank and a 10 gallon sump. With the addition of the Prime it is skimming much better.

I've also noticed that when I changed my water, I found that I had about .25ppm (based on my API test) in my freshly mixed salt (Red Sea and Instant Ocean...I currently have 300 gallons worth of salt for my tank). I'm really confused and no one knows why I have such a problem both in my tank and in my freshly mixed salt. Could my test tubes be contaminated?

I'm looking for any help. I've already lost a blue gudgeon and I'm trying to keep the other one alive as well as my inverts.

Thanks,
Ren
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

I would say the problem lies with your salt water that you have sitting around. How long has it sat there? Most people mix up new salt water a few days before they do the water change.

Hopefully others chime in and help you out, but that's my two cents.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM

I let it rest 24 hours but it's the same level even after I make it. The strange thing is that the ammonia came back and i'm not sure why. I started my tank, cycled it with live rock and everything went as planned. I added my crabs, astreas and corals then the ammonia came back. I don't know why. I'm slowly going insane because I have no idea what's going on in my tank.
33G DT - 10G sump - Eshopps PSK-100H - Eheim Compact+ 3000 - CPR CS50 overflow - 2x Hydor 750 (not used) - 1x Vortech MP10ESw - Radion LED - 7x Hermit Crabs - 2x Peppermint Shrimps - 3x Astrea - 4-5x Nassarius (they spawned) - Zoas - Mushrooms - 37lbs of live rock - 56lbs of base rock
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

What are you mixing it in?
How old is the salt?
How long did you cycle the tank for? Did you use a product to help cycle the tank?
Are you using RO/DI water?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

You have ammonia in your new mixed salt water before you add to your tank? I must be reading that wrong... try a different test kit or take to a different store to test. If positive you may have an issue at your water source, maybe take the salt in for testing as well? What are you using to mix your water in? Are you using tap water?

I would not use any of that salt or new water as it sounds like your tank may have been fine, but you are adding ammonia to the tank.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandgoose View Post
What are you mixing it in?
How old is the salt?
How long did you cycle the tank for? Did you use a product to help cycle the tank?
Are you using RO/DI water?
lol, beat me to the same questions...
Old 09-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

How long was it since you started the tank? because you should not be ready for corals just after you cycled it, do I'd be concerned a bit about the advise you are getting.

secondly, fresh mixed salt should have minimal if not any ammonia. I would get another test kit, or take it to a LFS for a second opinion.

also, prime is a great conditioner, but for ammonia removal we have found thet Kordons AmQuel is better.

Mixing salt is not advised also.

to check your test kit, get some distilled water and do a test, then maybe just test some water from the tap.

Water treatment sometimes allows phospates through, but never seen it to have ammonia.

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 09-29-2012, 03:02 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

I think the best question to ask over here is which salt are you using?

API ammonia will always show a slight green tinted yellow. Plus if you leave the test tube for way too long after mixing the two solutions, if will turn more green, a.k.a give you false reading (I guess the reagent just keeps on building ammonia over the existing ammonia in the water; not really sure about the chemistry since I don't know what compounds are the reagents). I think the best reading for ammonia using API is to do the color match within like a min or two.

Maybe test the tap water directly to see if any ammonia is there?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Several test kits will read 0.25 to 0.50ppm of NH3 even with RO water. I wouldn't trust them.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:49 PM

Wow, thanks for the replies.

I'll try to answer every question asked.

My aquarium has been up and running for over 4 months. It was cycled using live rock and before I added anything I waited to get the OK from my LFS (the only one I trust in town). I didn't use any supplements to get it fully cycled.

I have 2 types, Red Sea Salt (175 gal) and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (160 gal). Both have been bought this summer (July/September). To mix I use a Hydor Pico pump and a heater to raise the temp. I use the API Tap Water Filter with fresh filters.

Yep, when I test and I wait my salt mix shows up ammonia, but it does take a few minutes. The comment by mrhasan might be the reason. I might be allowing the test to falsify the data. It starts bright yellow and afterwards it becomes a greenish yellow (0.25). I.ve seen it reach 0.50 using the IORC. I've taken my water to several LFS and they to read ammonia. I've also tested with fresh tap water and the API test and it stays a perfect yellow.

I don't get it. I went to a pet store that sell saltwater fishes and corals and I told the guy about the ammonia in the freshly mixed saltwater. He didn't seem to believe me, but he mixed up a batch and to his surprise, he too found his Red Sea Ammonia test turn light green (0.25). So far, the API and Red Sea test give a positive reading for ammonia in freshly mixed water. The only difference I can see with my tank and others is the amount of live rock that is present. I might not have enough. The 0.25 level is probably easily processed by the rocks in most aquariums, but since I have less it sticks around longer. I have a lot of base rock and I cheaped out. I might buy some new live rock and see what happens. I'm just afraid of a bloom boom and will kill everything in my tank.

I hope that answers most of your questions. However, now I have one, what test should I use? API? Red Sea? Others? I'm using also a Seachem Ammonia Dial (bought it last night) to test my aquarium water. Last night after an hour it hadn't changed.

Thnaks,
Ren