Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road
Default Pond design

Can anyone recommend a good pond design company or forum/website where I could learn to do it myself? I'm looking into getting a large acreage pond done next year.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I find this to be a good pond forum:

Garden Pond Forums

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 AM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Well hello reefgirl!! I see I'm not the only marine & pond duo on here. I have a 3000 gallon koi pond, working on putting a video together of it at the moment.

Edit: sorry just realized you asked for a site recommendation, not a novel from me lol.

Ill get you a picture tomorrow of mine, it's still a work in progress but I watched some laguna pond design DVDs before building this puppy and I found they helped a lot.

There's a lot of things you have to take into account before you start digging. For instance:
An area that gets partial shade and partial sunlight throughout the day. It depends what type of pond you're interested in (fish, plant etc) but if you want fish chances are you're also going to want to have a decent amount of plant coverage for protection. Having plants means you need some sunlight, but too much sun = algae problems.

Another thing is determine your design first, shape of the pond how deep how wide/long, gallons... You want to incorporate many shelves to put plants on. I thought I made enough in mine and im kicking myself for not making more shelves.

Also plan where you would like to have a waterfall, and then you have to consider that the skimmer should be as far from the waterfall as possible (maximum filtration/water movement).

Whatever you do, don't buy anything until your entire pond is finished being dug, shelves put in and all. (when I say shelves I just mean digging them). Once you're happy with the design then you should buy your skimmer, filter/falls, pond liner, felt underlay or whatever you choose to go with all at once. I say all at once because you want to build/landscape your waterfall into the pond liner to be sure that no water is being lost anywhere. And you also want to attach your skimmer to the waterfall at this time aswell.

As I think of more I'll add them to this thread. Im sure there's lots more I'm just too tired to brainstorm.
Ill get you that pic tomorrow

Last edited by mandyplo; 07-22-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

check out Dez's backyard thread, believe he worked with a designer.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

Also check with Blue Planet Water Features.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Another thing you should consider before digging is ( if you're considering having fish/plants) how deep you are going to make your pond. If you want to keep big fat koi in yours like I do then you probably will want to keep them in the pond year long, throughout the winter and all.
I live in northern Ontario and the temperatures get very cold here in the winter. I made my pond 7-8 feet deep so that it only freezes about 3 feet down, and the fish can live underneath the ice. I keep a little heater in there to keep a hole in the ice so harmful gases can escape and don't kill my fish. I also keep the filter falls running all winter for aeration. If you make it deep enough you can also sink your plants to the bottom for the winter. In the spring bring them back up to your shelves and they start growing leaves fast!! This way you don't have to worry about bringing anyone inside for the winter and your fish will grow much bigger ! you do not have to worry about feeding the fish over the winter as their metabolisms slow down so much there's no need.

I've done this for two winters now and it's the easiest, most maintenance free way.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
Another thing you should consider before digging is ( if you're considering having fish/plants) how deep you are going to make your pond. If you want to keep big fat koi in yours like I do then you probably will want to keep them in the pond year long, throughout the winter and all.
I live in northern Ontario and the temperatures get very cold here in the winter. I made my pond 7-8 feet deep so that it only freezes about 3 feet down, and the fish can live underneath the ice. I keep a little heater in there to keep a hole in the ice so harmful gases can escape and don't kill my fish. I also keep the filter falls running all winter for aeration. If you make it deep enough you can also sink your plants to the bottom for the winter. In the spring bring them back up to your shelves and they start growing leaves fast!! This way you don't have to worry about bringing anyone inside for the winter and your fish will grow much bigger ! you do not have to worry about feeding the fish over the winter as their metabolisms slow down so much there's no need.

I've done this for two winters now and it's the easiest, most maintenance free way.
This is what I was looking for! How deep does it need to be to overwinter them. We are looking at a 15K to 20K gal total water volume so there's no way to overwinter the fish unless I put a swimming pool in the basement.

The only problem I'm having so far is placement of the pond. I don't have any suitable area with adequate shade and will probably have to build a structure to provide some relief from the sun. We're going to buy some trees but they won't be big enough in time to provide shade for the future pond.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I have a 24" deep pond in Edmonton and I overwinter my fish in it. There's a pond build journal somewhere on Canreef in the Lounge. Mine's only about 4000 gal. There are many different ways to over winter the fish in a shallower pond. Mine is 33' x 17' with many koi. It is in sun for most of the day and I have clear water. Filtration is key-to create an ecosystem. Tests have shown that it is difficult to grow algae in full sun in aged healthy pond water. Hope this helps. I've been ponding for 7 years now.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Dez's pond thread

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...light=dez+pond
Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Very well done and looks stunning! Dez, do you find it to be very much maintenance? What do you do to winter them?