Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road
Default A (probably) dumb protein skimmer question

I've had my Euro Reef RS100 running for a while and I'm having issues with the fact that the foam isn't breaking down in the collection cup and overflowing. It's not just going crazy and frothing with clean foam it's pulling dirty skimmate which is really nasty when it does break down in the cup. It just seems to be pulling too much. I haven't been adding anything to the tank to cause it to go nuts either...

I'm wondering if I'm skimming too dry and the foam is too loaded with organics for the bubbles to burst? Would raising the water level in the skimmer make it skim wetter so the foam breaks down?

I'm a bit lost because this is the first skimmer I've had that will actually pull anything out.

All suggestions welcome..

Rob
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

My guess would be that your running too wet. Do you have a build up of water in the collection cup or runny skimate
Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

You are running too dry. You have to adjust the skimmer's bubble height upwards a tiny bit to get it to run wetter and have the skimmate overflow into the collection cup instead of just collecting in the tube.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the input..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
My guess would be that your running too wet. Do you have a build up of water in the collection cup or runny skimate
I wouldn't say the skimmate is watery, I mean it's not that much more viscous than water, but it's dark and stinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
You are running too dry. You have to adjust the skimmer's bubble height upwards a tiny bit to get it to run wetter and have the skimmate overflow into the collection cup instead of just collecting in the tube.
The foam does overflow into the collection cup, but it just doesn't beak down into liquid again, does this happen when you skim too dry? It will literally push the lid off the collection cup and ooze off all over the place like a foam party really don't want to go to...
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Try to run it drier for a few days to see if it helps
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
+1

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.