Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-19-2002, 06:49 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Local skimmer and arragonite

Welcome to the board Gord. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skimmer;

Do you have a sump? Are yo planning on running one? If you do there are several great models to chose from. Personally I have only run Precision MArine skimmers. They kick a$$ IMO. There are many other manufacturers tho.

As for a hang on it is a bit more limited. I have seen a 75 reef tank that was using a Precisio Marine HOT-1 and it worked great. One worry is that the skimer won't be able to keep up with the load on the system.

When you go to buy a skimmer try to buy one that will run many more glalons than your system.
for example the Seaclone hang on is said by the manufacturer to work on a tank up to ~100 gallons. It doesn't. The largest I would go with one of these skimmers is 30 gallons. Prisms are only good up to abotu 30 as well.

Sand.

There are a few places for sand. regrettably there isn't any that have Southdown up here in Canada. Two stores I have bought sand from are J&L Aquatics and Big Als. Usually I buy at Big Al's when they have a great sale on. Otherwise the prices are a bit high. There may be others in town tat have sand as well but I can't remember.

hth
Old 07-19-2002, 07:07 PM

cyber_ecco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to cyber_ecco

I have a 20 gallon sump. I'm looking for something used, trying to save some $$$. I am aware of the local aquarium shops, but I was hoping to find some aragonite at a landscaping shop or something like that. I guess in the end, I will have to buy from JL or somewhere like that. Thanks for the help.

Gord.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:11 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

I'm going to move this to the main forum. By the way, welcome to the board.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:32 AM

cyber_ecco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to cyber_ecco

I'm setting up my reef and I need a skimmer for my 75 gallon as well as arragonite for my substrate. I am in Vancouver, and would prefer to deal with someone locally. I'm looking for something good, like a Berlin or Turbofloater 1000. Let me know if you have anything. does anyone know where to get arragonite locally for cheap? Anywhere to get Southdown playsand locally? Thanks.

Gord.