Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Neptune Apex Code Help?

I've been plugging away on some issues with Apex, and I've got everything but one thing tested and working the way I want. Everything I've done so far is pretty simple.

I'm wondering if someone can confirm whether or not something should work for me.

What I want to do is shut my noisy chiller pump off at night, unless the chiller is running. [If Outlet Chiller = ON Then ON]

I created an outlet called "Sleep"

Set OFF
If Time 21:00 to 06:00 Then ON

So, [If Outlet Sleep = ON Then OFF] for the ChillerPump outlet.

I slapped the code together all willy-nilly for the ChillerPump outlet:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Sleep = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Chiller = ON Then ON

It works on the sleep outlet. My chiller hasn't come on in days, though, so I don't know if the Chiller outlet statement is correct. Should it work?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd probably post this over at RC in the Neptune forum...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM

I thought about doing that . . . but I'm not a member there and I was hoping to avoid becoming a member of a third reef forum.

Reading the Neptune forum has been a huge help in figuring out a lot of stuff, as has the unofficial user guide. So, you're right. I probably should.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM

ultreef is on a distinguished road

This is what my little head came up with.

[chiller_outlet]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If temp > 80 Then ON
Defer 005

[chiller_pump_outlet]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If temp > 80 Then ON
Defer 001
If temp < 80 Then OFF
Defer 010

This "should" work like this. Your aim is to maintain temp below 80deg.F. What it'll stay above depends on your heaters. This way, your chiller pump won't be on during the day. It'll only come on when needed, saving your energy.

Your chiller will come on if temp is above 80. However, it's delayed 5minute so your chiller pump (will start after 1minute if temp is above 80) has a chance to start cycling water thru the chiller. If temp falls below 80, your chiller will be off, however, I keep the chiller pump on just for a little longer to bring the chiller internal to the same temp as the tank water.

I like to use Defer to provide any spike from constantly turning on and off my devices.

This is probably not perfect, the last time i programmed my apex was 2 years ago. Hope it works for you.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Cool!

My present chiller code is:

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF

(This works and has been tested)

But, my chiller is set to not actually start cooling until 79. It takes a few minutes for it to start cooling, so I didn't want it to come on right at 79.

I could change it to this:

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
Defer 005
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF

And then change the chiller pump to

Fallback OFF
If temp > 78.5 Then ON
Defer 001
If temp < 78 Then OFF
Defer 010

That should work, right?

My only concern is leaving the chiller pump off for so long. Will the water in the lines get gross? That's why I was going to let it run throughout the day, but shut off at night according to the "Sleep" outlet if not required.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You could get a different pump that's quiet...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Cool!

My present chiller code is:

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF

(This works and has been tested)

But, my chiller is set to not actually start cooling until 79. It takes a few minutes for it to start cooling, so I didn't want it to come on right at 79.

I don't personally use a chiller, but wouldnt you want to have the apex have top level control? meaning if the apex say ON, then your chiller is on. So maybe change your "temp on the chiller" to 78deg. This way, whenever apex says temp is above 78.5 then chiller would be on. But if for whatever reason the outlet is stuck on, your chiller temperature control is your backup. If temp falls below 78deg, while apex outlet is still on, your chiller will actually turn off.

I could change it to this:

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 78.5 Then ON
Defer 005
If Temp < 78.0 Then OFF

And then change the chiller pump to

Fallback OFF
If temp > 78.5 Then ON
Defer 001
If temp < 78 Then OFF
Defer 010

That should work, right?

My only concern is leaving the chiller pump off for so long. Will the water in the lines get gross? That's why I was going to let it run throughout the day, but shut off at night according to the "Sleep" outlet if not required.
You can always put in a "If Time" to turn it on once a day. Depending on how stable you want to keep your temperature, you can narrow down the temperature range. And with the use of Defer, your chiller and heater won't be going crazy.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You could get a different pump that's quiet...
I have one (another Eheim Compact 2000). . . I just don't want to redo all of the plumbing in the return section of the sump twice in a few weeks.

The new display is off being drilled, so I'll be starting to install the plumbing for that this weekend. The new pump for the chiller will be running the chiller and the two fluid reactors. It is nice and quiet, and it will run 24/7. It may even become the return for the NC12 that will become a secondary fuge on this system, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultreef View Post
I don't personally use a chiller, but wouldnt you want to have the apex have top level control? meaning if the apex say ON, then your chiller is on. So maybe change your "temp on the chiller" to 78deg. This way, whenever apex says temp is above 78.5 then chiller would be on. But if for whatever reason the outlet is stuck on, your chiller temperature control is your backup. If temp falls below 78deg, while apex outlet is still on, your chiller will actually turn off.
Yes and no. The temp on the chiller is set to 78 deg, but it allows the temperature to climb to 79 before it starts chilling (it brings it down to 78). I would have to set it to 77 to start chilling at 78. I want the chiller to have a bit of time to run before it is expected to start cooling the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultreef View Post
You can always put in a "If Time" to turn it on once a day. Depending on how stable you want to keep your temperature, you can narrow down the temperature range. And with the use of Defer, your chiller and heater won't be going crazy.
Good idea.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

Yes and no. The temp on the chiller is set to 78 deg, but it allows the temperature to climb to 79 before it starts chilling (it brings it down to 78). I would have to set it to 77 to start chilling at 78. I want the chiller to have a bit of time to run before it is expected to start cooling the water.

Good idea.
If i understand you correctly, your chiller has a temp margain of 1deg? If that's the case, just set your apex to this

[chiller]
If temp > 78.5 then ON
Defer 005
If temp < 78.5 then OFF
Defer 001

[chiller_pump]
If temp > 78.5 then ON
Defer 001
If temp < 78.5 then OFF
Defer 010

Hope I actually helped you instead of confusing you lol. Good luck.