Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Telus or Shaw

Which is the preference in Kamloops. They both seem to have good bundles, both have similar complaints, etc. I need everything except my cell, which is still with Rodgers
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

if you choose to go with telus. pm me and i can get them to call you with a good deal
Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 AM

knickle22 is on a distinguished road

I just switched over from shaw to telus and here is my story/ rant
I have had Shaw for the last 2 years and never had a problem until a few weeks ago. I was getting cable and internet (using cell phone so no need for home phone). Then just the other week a shaw rep call me up and said about their new plans, telling me how if i sign-up for home-phone and got the same plan my bill would actually be less . So i signed up for the phone, repetitively asking if anything else on my plan would change, the rep assured me everything would stay the same.
A week or so went by until my new plan went into affect. and then i noticed i had less than half the channels i previously had. so i called up shaw to see what went wrong, they told me that is what i signed up for. i then asked to have my old plan back as i was saving $10 but had no channels i wanted and had a phone i would never use. they then told me the plan i was previously was on is no longer available. I was ****ed. Right then and their i asked to have my services disconnected and was sent to another department,
The next lady then tried to talk me into staying and now all of a sudden i could get my old plan back, but at this point i was too mad and said no way.
I just got my telus optik setup tuesday and so-far i am very impressed. I get better quality TV, and alot more options for channels shaw dosn't offer, my internet speed hasn't gone below 20mbps (using internet and 2 tvs and same time) when with shaw i rarely seen over 15mbps (paying for extreme 25mbps) At this point telus would have to screw-up pretty big for me to even consider shaw again
Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 AM

rynoe is on a distinguished road

Both companies have there bad points as far as customer service go. I went with telus recently simply because their hardware is much better. I love the fact that all of the tv boxes are connected to each other, something shaw charges $400 for. With telus boxes you can watch your recorded shows on any tv and pause on one and continue on another if you like.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I also got the run-around with Shaw and they try to add $5 here, $10 there and my bill would suddenly jump every couple of months. When I call, they would say "oh, I don't know why that charge is there. Do you want me to remove it?" Well duh!!! Then got a sweet deal with Telus when Optik was just coming into Burnaby. I called up Shaw to cancel my services and the rep lied through his teeth saying that he would price match and I would keep all my channels and have high speed. Instead, they billed me almost $40 more than my Telus price, cut my internet to "light speed" (which is almost like dial up) and cut all my channels to just the basic which is about 24 channels. When I called up a few days later, and found out that the Shaw rep had lied, I blew my top and cancelled everything with that company. Since then, they send me a notice at least twice a month with new offers which they wouldn't offer when I was originally planning to switch.

Been very happy with my Telus TV. I can PVR 3 shows including a HD channel and watch a fourth recorded show at the same time, while using my internet and having my wife and sister-in-law downloading on their laptops. They even through in a free second pvr when I installed a LCD tv on my back deck during last year's Stanley Cup playoffs.

I calculated that compared to my Shaw billings, I will save well over $2000 over the 3 years contract. NEVER GOING BACK TO SHAW.

My Telus bill (TV including HD & 7 packages; High speed internet and free land land) was about $48 for the first year, then $65 for the next year and is still under $80 for the last year.

My last two Shaw bills were in the $120-$135 range and I had NO pvr, no HD channels, only Channels 3 to 55, regular high speed, and a no frills land line.

Since switching, I literally saved enough to buy an extra coral colony or two just from the difference in bills between my old Shaw and my Telus TV.

$135 vs $45 (or even <$80 now). Hmmmmmm.

Even at $120 for Shaw, I saved/am saving over $2100 over the three years contract. And when I phoned Telus, they threw in 6-7 free movie channels for three months just for fun.

My sister had to buy her Shaw pvr and its the one where you can only watch one channel or pvr it, you can't watch a different channel while pvring. Kinda pointless to me.

Anthony
Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 AM

AquaPin is on a distinguished road
Default Team Telus

I was with Shaw for over 10yrs, switched to Telus a few weeks ago, NO REGRETS. Faster internet connection, love the PVR linked to all the TVs, nice bonus laptop, plus I save $17 a month (after the promo price, even more $$ right now). Shaw had no interest in being competitive when I initially called them. However after I gave them notice of termination, they the suddenly had all new pricing available to me...too little too late.

Jason
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'm with Shaw since moving to Vernon. Getting a bit annoyed with the TV side of things these days, although I'm not sure Telus would be any better in that regard. My daughter & her partner are with Telus & seem to like the deal. Trouble for me with switching is Telus would have to come in & install a bunch of new wiring I think. Not too keen on that. With regard to my comment on TV, I simply find with almost any standard service provider, there are way too many channels but nothing worth watching & commercials taking up half the programming time. I can't stand paying for a bundle that includes a crap load of channels I don't want with too much advertising & most of them switching to paid advertising late at night. The stuff I really want to watch costs extra. None of them (that I'm aware of) allow you to choose a specific range of channels & pay for only those. Netflix & the like are starting to look real tempting with your choice of what you wish to watch & when for $8 a month? And with the newer smart TVs coming out these days, you no longer need an Xbox or some other device to subscribe to Netflix. I think the fat corporations like Shaw, Telus, Rogers et al are going to get a bit of an eye opener in the not too distant future when folks start figuring this out & migrating to on demand TV providers. I think they might already be getting nervous since a Shaw rep phoned me this afternoon asking if everything was ok with my service.

There, my rant is done. I'll probably stick with Shaw for internet.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-12-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPin View Post
Shaw had no interest in being competitive when I initially called them. However after I gave them notice of termination, they the suddenly had all new pricing available to me...too little too late.
Yup, Shaw seems stupid that way. I wonder how many customers they lose every month because of this backwards approach. I just call Telus when any of my promos are over and they give me a new promo to help drop my monthly bill.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
There, my rant is done. I'll probably stick with Shaw for internet.
My Shaw internet was tortoise slow, while my Telus Optik internet is fast, even when I have 2 or 3 other people streaming videos on their laptops. Does NOT affect my wired PC's speed at all.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
My Shaw internet was tortoise slow, while my Telus Optik internet is fast, even when I have 2 or 3 other people streaming videos on their laptops. Does NOT affect my wired PC's speed at all.
At the moment I'm not what you would call a heavy internet user. Don't stream much, but perhaps if I go with Netflix, that would change, since it would have to come over my net connection with Shaw.