Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default First loss....

So I went away this weekend, got home, check tank, female clown is missing. I fed the fish as she is a little pig, but no sign of her, check overflows and sump, nothing. Look behind the tank and she's all dried up on the carpet. Not sure what made her jump.

I also notice my blue hippo tang has a cloudy eye. I've done some reading, not sure if I should do anything??
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

That's really sad. I don't know why but these things tend to happen a lot when we leave town.

For the cloudy eye, I would just do a water change for now and it should return to normal. Feed it good food with garlic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
So I went away this weekend, got home, check tank, female clown is missing. I fed the fish as she is a little pig, but no sign of her, check overflows and sump, nothing. Look behind the tank and she's all dried up on the carpet. Not sure what made her jump.

I also notice my blue hippo tang has a cloudy eye. I've done some reading, not sure if I should do anything??
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

It's bad luck week for most of us here on canreef .

I lost two fish this week for no reason. No idea where they've gone.

Sorry about your hippo. Is it in just one eye or in both?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear. We lost my favorite cichlid 2 weeks ago, same way but we have a glass top, he managed to jump out of a small spot near the filter about the size of his body... The cat found him and meowed to let me know. real bummer
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 AM

Ya, I'm bummed about it, but I guess it happens.

Will do a small water change tomorrow, did one last weekend.....

Reef girl, I had 2 fish disappear in the 55 without a trace, my bicolor blenny and mystery wrasse, I know how you feel
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

While we are kind of on topic would you replace that fish without knowing the reason for its death in the first place?

The reason I ask is because my sailfin passed away about a month ago and I have no idea why. I really miss him and I want to get another but I'm afraid he'd meet the same demise. So is it irresponsible to get a replacement fish without knowing the cause of the death on the first one?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

The sad reality is that sometimes livestock die and we don't (and won't ever) conclusively know why.

Without the equipment to fully analyze every aspect of the water (and the education to interpret the results) we sometimes just have to accept that s**t happens. It's frustrating.

I'd say of you've tested all parameters and all other livestock is behaving normally and you've waited a period (a month is more than reasonable, IMO) then I can't see why you couldn't introduce new livestock.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
The sad reality is that sometimes livestock die and we don't (and won't ever) conclusively know why.

Without the equipment to fully analyze every aspect of the water (and the education to interpret the results) we sometimes just have to accept that s**t happens. It's frustrating.

I'd say of you've tested all parameters and all other livestock is behaving normally and you've waited a period (a month is more than reasonable, IMO) then I can't see why you couldn't introduce new livestock.
I agree. If all other fish are fine, I see no reason not to try again!

I've only had 2 fish jump on me and they were both clowns, yet I have wrasses...weird!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I agree. If all other fish are fine, I see no reason not to try again!

I've only had 2 fish jump on me and they were both clowns, yet I have wrasses...weird!

you have a six line?? my wrasse chased out my clowns both small black ones, clowns tend to hide near the top if they are bullied , then they get pushed out

it happenes i wouldnt think there is any reason to believe you wouldnt be successfull with new ones
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM

No six line, have a radiant and solar wrasse. They don't chase anyone around, in fact the tank has been really peaceful with no aggression even to new comers. My daughter said she thought the male was chasing her around on Saturday. My clowns were hosting my frogspawn together, but when they moved to the new tank, it seemed they broke up and were living on opposite sides of the tank.

Is it possible the male was/is becoming a female bec of the breakup?