Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Duker is on a distinguished road
Default Sump clean-out

WOW, just finished cleaning out my sump and all pump maintenance!!!! Bloody hell that is a gross painful job; but now it's done for this year! Several bumps on the head, elbow bangs, knuckle scraps, spray's in the face with gross water/muck, soaking wet jeans, disgusting tub(where i dumped all the glorious goodies i found)and bristle worm attacks later-its done Woo Hoo!!

Funny how the skimmer works soooo much better (and quieter) after you clean out the "muffler" hose and the impeller area...three little snails in there cloggin it up, reducing the flow. ....got'em ha ha

And rescued one bifaciata trimma goby out of the sump and two peppermint shrimp. They are all nicely back where they belong with their buddies!

And wow the gunk that builds up on the bottom--Grrr-oss! Shop vacuumed all the crud out, now lets see my phosphate fall fast....i hope!

Now back to cleaning out the tub...

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 AM

lngrhaul is on a distinguished road

good for you - i hate that job. and i usually end up with broken equipment to boot! Shop vac - great idea, i think i need to invest in one of those.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Ya, here's a job I'm not looking forward to down the road with my 50g sump. At least it's not in my stand.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Spring cleaning.. I'm going to have to muck mine out too.. But tonight.. Tonight I'm eating mango salsa and cooking butter chicken!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Spring cleaning.. I'm going to have to muck mine out too.. But tonight.. Tonight I'm eating mango salsa and cooking butter chicken!
*Like*
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
WOW, just finished cleaning out my sump and all pump maintenance!!!! Bloody hell that is a gross painful job; but now it's done for this year! Several bumps on the head, elbow bangs, knuckle scraps, spray's in the face with gross water/muck, soaking wet jeans, disgusting tub(where i dumped all the glorious goodies i found)and bristle worm attacks later-its done Woo Hoo!!

Funny how the skimmer works soooo much better (and quieter) after you clean out the "muffler" hose and the impeller area...three little snails in there cloggin it up, reducing the flow. ....got'em ha ha

And rescued one bifaciata trimma goby out of the sump and two peppermint shrimp. They are all nicely back where they belong with their buddies!

And wow the gunk that builds up on the bottom--Grrr-oss! Shop vacuumed all the crud out, now lets see my phosphate fall fast....i hope!

Now back to cleaning out the tub...
Good job! I did the same three weeks ago. It sure feels great afterwards!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
*Like*
Daaaamn this is GOOD!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Daaaamn this is GOOD!
That's so funny, I printed off the butter chicken recipe and was all set to run out for a few ingredients but decided to finish the yucky job instead....butter chicken on the weekend. And I just finished up the rest of my salsa yesterday. Afterall I couldn't just make enough for the swap, I made a double batch.....sooooo good.

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
Good job! I did the same three weeks ago. It sure feels great afterwards!

It sure does, and i can't wait to test my phosphate.......

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
That's so funny, I printed off the butter chicken recipe and was all set to run out for a few ingredients but decided to finish the yucky job instead....butter chicken on the weekend. And I just finished up the rest of my salsa yesterday. Afterall I couldn't just make enough for the swap, I made a double batch.....sooooo good.

That salsa is wicked! I actually saved a little for Boo when he gets home to try.. I hope he hates it as he doesn't like cilantro.