Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road
Default Any tricks to get a Manderin to eat anything?

I have a pair of Manderins, a male, eating pellets and frozen, and a female, that is "skin and bones". She won't eat....anything. The tank has some natural food. Any thoughts on getting her to eat?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

You could try several things like setting up a diner (small jar that they can fit through and eat without competition) but really it just takes time. I had a female that ate frozen but my male only ate copepods. I have tons of them so I didn't really worry but then one day I saw the male eating a large piece of frozen mysis. Both are fat and happy, for now, I would try to source some copepods to seed your tank and run a fuge with chaeto to help grow the population until the female learns to eat frozen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

im training my scooter blenny as we speak. i heard live brine in a baster with frozen foods, slowly switching to only frozen. i cant seem to find brine eggs around here so i just use munnids and small anphipods. has been about a week now and i see her picking the odd frozen brine/pellet. idk how much shes actually eating yet tho? good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

Also try adding some garlic drops that you can get at the pet store on whatever you are feeing. I had a cardinal that didn't eat anything for two weeks due to my tank cycling and it did the trick to start him eating again. Garlic will stimulate the fishes appetite. Hope that it helps.
Leanne
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I have a pair of Manderins, a male, eating pellets and frozen, and a female, that is "skin and bones". She won't eat....anything. The tank has some natural food. Any thoughts on getting her to eat?
Please try to arrange to have another reefer that has a tank teeming with pods take her.

Mandarins require larger mature tanks that are teeming with pods to survive. While it is true that some force themselves to eat other foods and live. the majority do not do so and perish in our tanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

newly hatched baby brine shrimp work and are easy to hatch , but if she is as skinny as you say and your tank isnt swarming with pods there is no hope.They dont eat much in a sitting and if you get them to eat frozen your only giving them a snack so they dont eat so many pods.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Get yourself a white worms culture and give her live white worms. My mandarins love them.

At some point I treated my tank with interceptor for black bugs and that killed pretty much 95% of the pods. With 2 mandarins in the tank, they would have died without the live white worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
At some point I treated my tank with interceptor for black bugs and that killed pretty much 95% of the pods.
black bugs??????
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

Try frozen cylopeze, cyclops, caplin roe(reef caviar) or daphnia. Most people make the mistake of trying to feed frozen foods that aren't the right size for mandarins. Stuff like mysis are no where near the size of pods, their natural food source.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

if you want to bring her to my house i can give you a frag of something for her, she will do well in my tank......thats if it seems like shes not gonna make it, if shes skin and bones now its prob to late for training.