Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-10-2004, 04:59 PM

Nemain is on a distinguished road
Default Boarder Crossing

Can you tell its spring break up - w00 do I ever have nothing to do!

I have been talking with blain from thesea.org and he said that he will ship to the boarder for pick up. Anyone know how difficult it is to get livestock across? IE: forms, duties, etc.

Thanks,

Beth
Old 03-10-2004, 05:11 PM

nickb is on a distinguished road

There's recently been a couple of related discussions on importing to Canada. Corals are covered under CITES. You would need an import license (costs $300 I've been told unless you can 'borrow one'). And appropriate permissions. I understand that live rock is also covered under CITES. Ornamental fish can be imported without needing a license except for seahorses, sharks and a few other similar animals. I don't know where zoos, etc. would count. but, if it were me, I'd want to make 100% sure that I had the legalities right since the penalities can be very severe.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I believe only stonies fall under CITES.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Looks like some softies are in there as well, but it appears to be only on wild specimens..

Does anyone know whom I would have to call to find out?

Thanks,

Beth
Old 03-10-2004, 06:43 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemain
Looks like some softies are in there as well, but it appears to be only on wild specimens..

Does anyone know whom I would have to call to find out?

Thanks,

Beth
It won't be worth it becasue cites fees & inspection fees will be like $200+ even if you one get 1 frag

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]
Old 03-10-2004, 06:54 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

All corals, all clams, all live rock, all cities protected fish and inverts, all macro algae that comes on rock, all require cities permits and wont be worth your wile unless you are placing a very large order of at least a few boxes full of livestock.(over 100+ pieces+
Old 03-10-2004, 07:13 PM

I understand that the cost may be a little overwhelming, I just really would like to know what the process is, and who I need to call to find out how to get the permits.

Thank you,

beth
Old 03-10-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWorldAquatics
All corals... all require cities permits...
This is not entirely true, as I indicated previously. However, amending my above statements, some corals besides scleractinians are listed by CITES. Rather than attempting to delineate the species which are and aren't listed, I would suggest checking the particular coral you are interested in at http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Don't forget though Quinn, that although a softey like a mushroom may not be CITES listed, if it's attached to a piece of live rock rubble, guess what, the live rock is CITES.

And gosh darn it Kyle, it's CITES not cities

www.cites.org

Nemain, I don't know what the process is per se either, but it goes something like this. The exporter needs to have a CITES permit, and if you're carrying livestock (CITES or non-CITES) I believe you might also need a Fish & Wildlife permit from the U.S. You might want to give Canada Customs a call and see what they advise (haha, have fun with that phone call, that won't be a long and runaroundish type call at all )
Old 03-10-2004, 07:38 PM

Therefore one would have to make sure any frags purchased are not mounted.

I did a quick search and found that, obviously, clams in the genus Tridacna are listed. Members of the class Zoanthidea are not. Neither are any anemones from what I could tell. The members of the family Nephtheidae are not. My search also gave me even more good reason not to try to identify the species of Acropora sp. I own - yielding 184 members of the genus Acropora.

Regardless though, there are probably other restrictions. It would probably a headache and a half.