Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road
Default How to control mini brittle stars population ?

I know they are good for your tank, just like the brittle worms as people say ... but I just don't like to have them in my tank. All my pods are long gone since these creatures have taken over my rocks, I haven't seen any pods left in my tank, and I blame these ones. It must be close to a thousand if I am not exaggerating here a bit ... they are everywhere. There are at least 10 of them for each single powerhead everytime I clean it. I can't kill them, so I always put them back in my refugium. I need something that will eat them naturally. I had been googling lately and some people say the harlequin shrimp will eat any stars. But I have one hitchhiking star I don't want to lose. It is about 3 inches, I don't know what kind it is but I like it. So, I can't have the harlequin shrimp.
I am desperate I need help here, I want my big fatty pods population back, these stars need to be out of my tank. I don't care how good they are, I just don't want them in my tank.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

feed less. tons of mini brittle stars are a sign of over feeding.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

yep thats what the problem is same with lots of brittle worms. If you have thousands you are feeding too much.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 AM

hehe ... I never see any left over food though, they must eat fish poop then ... Alright, I have no control when my fish are giving me a "starving puppy" eyes, they know how to use their "magic" ... Please tell me what type of other creature or fish eat them, PLEASE !
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

If you don't want to flush them... You could syphon them out into a bucket while doing water changes and just give them away for free.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 AM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

A few weeks ago J&L had mini harlequin shrimp. Their description said they loved to eat mini brittle stars.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Wayne, I had tried that method but their whole body is deep inside the rocks, only the tiny ugly feet sticking out. I even tried using a tweezer to pull them out but I just broke their legs apart. They are worse than brittle worms I think catching the worms is more easy.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've got a good size wrasse that eats them: Halichoeres ornatissimus. A friend of mine also used to have what I think was a Lunar wrasse (Thalassoma lunare) that would gobble them up very aggressively. If you have a large covered tank one of those might work for you.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 AM

That wrasse will grow to 6" inches and I only have a small 75 gallon tank. Also I have a BB tank, no sand for them to feel happy. I know somebody can trade them when it grows big, but not me. After a few months later, it will become my other pet then that is it... I know I will be stuck with it till the day it dies and I can't upgrade to a bigger tank. That is the problem. Is there any creatures that you can think of, except the harlequin shrimp ?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitoPharmer View Post
A few weeks ago J&L had mini harlequin shrimp. Their description said they loved to eat mini brittle stars.
Bongo shrimp!! I have a pair. 3/4" and 1/2". They love mini brittle stars. They aren't cheap unless you run the marine section at a LFS and even then they really aren't that cheap. LOL

You could put your starfish in the sump and get a harlequin shrimp. I know mine is eating my mini brittlestars faster then the asterina stars that I want him to eat.