Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road
Default How would you light a 6ft tank?

So this week I will be getting my custom made 6ft tank (build thread once I actually get the tank)

My question is how would you light the tank.

I was thinking LED but the cost is just so high for what I would need right and with things coming up in the next few months I think its more of a dream cost wise now.

I was thinking maybe pick up a couple of 36" HOT5 fixtures and hang them end to end to get the 72" of length.

And im looking for lower cost...so Im checking out ebay.
Thinking maybe 2 of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-INCH-6pc-T...ht_3386wt_1163

End to end thats about 400w over the tank, I know its not ideal but im not going to be going SPS, I have a few small SPS frags in my current tank, they up high on a frag rack and after 6 months in my tank with little growth whatever they have colour and polyp extension so I guess they are doing ok. I just plan more on softies and maybe a few LPS.

But after seeing some other members tanks in person they all had MH over them and I really like the way they look. but is there a way I can use MH pendants instead of a 72" fixture? Most fixtures I have seen run close to 1k for that length or some ebays ones for like 500.

So im unsure what to do, what to look at and im looking for suggestions on how to light this sucker, I hate to say it but its gonna be an odd looking setup for a few months as I plan on using a 2 bulb T5 and a 4 bulb T5 fixture from my other tanks until I figure this out fully.

Edit: should add the tank is 72x20x20 so rather shallow IMO
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

I have a great 6' t5 system that would allow you to grow ANYTHING in a tank that size. its 600$ obo but its in edmonton.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
I have a great 6' t5 system that would allow you to grow ANYTHING in a tank that size. its 600$ obo but its in edmonton.
yah 600 is the top of my budget and that's not till end of June, im an Electrician so I have 2 months of schooling coming up and EI isn't even half of what my normal pay is so im gonna pinching penny's badly
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

I hear yah. The way people are switching to LEDs i wont be surprised if these are still available in june lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 PM

troni is on a distinguished road

check out modular led. its a diy site for leds. you can build just enough to light what you need. and cost wise its more expensive intially but pays for its self after you would normally have to change bulbs.

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troni View Post
check out modular led. its a diy site for leds. you can build just enough to light what you need. and cost wise its more expensive intially but pays for its self after you would normally have to change bulbs.
Great idea but thats 1200$ from his site and thats only the lights, I still need to find a way to mount them and make them look nice. Or I can buy 3 AI SOL units for about that price *shrug*

I work with lights and electrical all day at work I have little desire to come home and do the same for a tank when i just buy a fixture and save my time. Great idea but not for me right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM

im in the same line of work, and thats like saying ill pay someone else to wire my house instead of saving my time? but i do kinda know what you mean.
you dont need intense lighting so taking a few leds out wont hurt. i dunno.
my opinion is led though forsure.
what about old fixtures from work? or i think through work you can get those new t5ho high bays for around 3 bills? i think they are 6 bulb

Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM

yah I actually have a contact who can get me a couple of 6 bulb high bays for about 2 each. which isnt to bad.

And yah I know its like saying I would pay someone else to but I also work a lot so when I come home its to enjoy my time not do more wiring. I was leaning more towards MH though since I really havent seem long term results with LED yet.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 AM

the ai sol has been around since 2007.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I hung my halides in a homemade canopy. There is also a Tek T5 retrofit kit mounted in there for actinics. Shown before painting (still haven't got around to that lol). I cut the front and added hinges so it opens up.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-12-2012 at 02:02 AM.