Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

RipCurl is on a distinguished road
Default Red Sea Max - Temperature fluctuation Issue

Hi All,

I am taking a shot in the dark to see if any of you have experienced the same issue I am having.

My tank tends to heat up farily quickly as it is a closed unit. The cooling fans can only be turned on manually. I can either leave them on or turn them off . They do not operate under the timer unlike my lights. It is a ridiculous flaw.

The problem is If I decide to go on vacation for an extended period of time, I do not want to leave the fans running for 24x7 in case they blow and stop working. I fear if it does, my fish will fry.

I have my lights on from 12-8pm everyday. When I come home around 5, the temp reaches 81. If I give it another 3 hours, I have seen it rise to 88. I usually turn on the cooling fans when I get back from work to keep the temperature below 80... I would like to avoid doing this all together.

I would like to start introducing corals to my tank and will need at least another 2 hours of light per day

Does anyone know of a work around for this issue? In a perfect world, the colling fans would activate themselved once the temperature has exceeded what I have set it to....

Tank Type: Red Sea Max250

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM

I would prefer to not have to go the chiller route but it looks as though I may have to..
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I will get back at you this afternoon when work allows. And yes the fans can be set to come on with the lights.

Last edited by Borderjumper; 03-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM

You just might be my savior Borderjumper. Much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM

If you look under the timer cover, there are two rocker switches. make sure they are both in the l position, this sets the fans to come on when the lights are on.. Now saying that, I don't use the lighting timer, I manually switch them on and off with the rocker switch in the control box. You will have to read up if this works using the timer.

heat is always an issue with a stock RSM... Have you ever looked at just how huge that stock skimmer pump is? As well as the pumps for circulation?

I removed the stock skimmer and am using a little bubble magnus, and I also took out the left side recirc pump and put in an eheim pump.. And i leave the flap up in the back.That pretty much solved my heat problems, except on the very hottest summer days. When it's mega hot I put a piece of egg crate over the little open area in the back left side ( this is with the back lid thing flipped up) and set an old computer fan on it on a timer that runs it 5 minutes an hour during the day.

Hope this helps
Shelley
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Shelley great idea. So having a overflow on that tank solve the problems of having the system heat up. and second i think that is why they state a place for a chiller in the compartment below. Cause it does heat up.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Shelley great idea. So having a overflow on that tank solve the problems of having the system heat up. and second i think that is why they state a place for a chiller in the compartment below. Cause it does heat up.
There is a little plate on the back, top right hand that pops off, and a connector kind of thing pops in. It has two elbows with barb connections for the chiller to hook up to. I've always wondered if you could mod that in a way that you could use that for the sump in and out?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

they have a cheesy little fan that plugs in the back.. 20$ worked fin for me.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
There is a little plate on the back, top right hand that pops off, and a connector kind of thing pops in. It has two elbows with barb connections for the chiller to hook up to. I've always wondered if you could mod that in a way that you could use that for the sump in and out?

yes Shelley they do im doing the mod and have all the pieces i can let you know how I made out if you want. im going to do it stage by stage. on here to show
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
yes Shelley they do im doing the mod and have all the pieces i can let you know how I made out if you want. im going to do it stage by stage. on here to show
Sweet Mike.. Look forward to it. Did you find a tank yet?

Tags
fluctuation, red sea max 250, temperature