Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 AM

Realshow is on a distinguished road
Default Aptasia..... Ro & Di Resin ???????

Will Aptasia die injecting hot vinegar into it anywhere or does it have to be in a specific place?
I have found several of the little fu....s on the rock my toadstool is stuck to & there are no peppermints around .
I am going away for a few weeks & nobody else will hardly even look at the tank so i would like to do what I can before Mon.

In regards to Ro does it make any difference if the membrane is mounted verticle or horizontal ?

where is the best place to get DI Resin. I am in kamloops but haven't been able to find it locally yet. Is there much of a difference between brands if so what is the one I should get?

& finally should this substrate go in the trash ? my phosphates are off the chart. I recently bought my first sw set up used it has been running for years.
However learning as i go i realize now the previuos owner was creating tons of phosphate from feeding habits & no water changes.
The tank looked fine at first to this freshwater guy.
However the sps are dull & not doing very well . I am planning on siphoning all of the substrate out tonight to try 7 reduce the phosphate.
I dont have a reactor yet. I'm just using some of the fluval bagged crap till I get set up correctly.

Here is a pic of the crush on the bottom of the tank. It looks like gravel in the pic? but it is not . I was given advise to get some argonite sand does it matter if it's live or dry? the rock is established already.

Ok Ok I will shut up & post this now I could ask questions for days & still be lost Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg substrate.jpg (79.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:24 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

that looks like fw aquarium gravel. Should go away.

Give the aiptasia a shot in the morning with your choice of killer juice right in the mouth works the best.

get a reactor with GFO and the phosphates will go away

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

use a syringe with a needle to inject them.i usually use lemon juice,but i guess any type of acid would do-do not inject more than 10 a day -try to keep the acid down in the tank.you can also mix up a kalkwasser paste and smother them-making sure you cover the base as that is where the daughter cells are.and do it in the daytime-not at night as this would release the daughter cells .worse comes to worse and they do spread i can sell you some berghia to take care of the aptasia.
the membrane doesn't matter which way it's mounted-mine is horizontal .
a reactor will only keep your phosphates stable-not lower them.if you can ,build yourself an algae scrubber.i've had mine running for 4 days now and it has lowered my phosphate to .17 ppm from .28 ppm and my nitrites from 90 ppb to 64 ppb.
try a pool sales and service for the resin
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I say morning because I like to see what I'm doing, do it right when the lights turn on.

Gfo does remove phosphates not stabilize the levels.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

I think moncous is kinda right on not using phosphate remover. Your better off doing relatively cheap water changes and isolating the problem then using expensive chemicals. I would remove that substrate. It looks the the finer version of crushed coral. Not ideal for long term use without vacuuming.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Realshow is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the info everyone.