Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Default New QT or Back-Up tank

Well here is my gently used tank.

Approximate 38 gallons. Outside dimensions 33"x14"x19".

Going to be strictly QT or back up in case of emergency. Potentially I could season new tank water too while it sits.

What would be the best way to do this?

I thought... Water, chunk of rock to cycle, aqua clear to circulate/run carbon when required.

Any ideas?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Other than the tank, you will need an aquaclear filter with some foams, a heater, some PVC for your fish to hide, and a powerhead or an airpump. Sometime I find that aquaclear filters don't aerate water enough. That's why you need a powerhear or airpump to increase O2 level, especially when you do something like prazipro where it depletes O2 in your water.
I would skip rock rubbles. First of all, rocks can absorb medications. Also some medic will kill off bacteria in your live rock. Live rocks also make hypo difficult.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have a back up tank running, I call it my liverock tank. It has rock and sand in it along with a powerhead and heater, when I plan on bringing a fish home I usually do a large (3/4 tank volume) water change
When I bring a fish or coral home it goes into that tank first were I can keep an eye on it. If treatment is necessary I catch it out of that tank and put it into a hospital tank. It's pretty much trouble free and gets ignored for weeks on end, when there are no fish in it I don't even bother with lights......it keeps the algae in check

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252