Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM

befer is on a distinguished road
Default tunze power supply

was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find a power supply for a tunze 6105 online. j@l out of stock
thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Tunze power supplies tend to be pricier because they are switchable between 12v, 14v, 18v and 24vdc. Well, that and that they are higher amperage (most of the smaller switchable wall-wart style power supplies are usually in the order of a few hundred milliamps). I forget what Tunzes need offhand but you can generally figure it out by looking at the wattage they use (watts = amps x volts).

That said, usually we don't switch the Tunzes around after settling on a speed, so if you don't need switchable that might open up some options.

18v is pretty common but some people are pushing them at 24v now. Either way is OK according to Tunze, depends on how much speed you want out of them. I find at 24v they are louder but some people don't seem to mind.

So pick a voltage and see what you can find. Any 2.0 amp, 24VDC or 18VDC power supply will do. Heck, if you have an old laptop power supply it is probably 24VDC 2.0amps. But you can get these at electronic stores. For example, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX25408

Worst case scenario you might have to cut and crimp the old connector onto the new.
Hope this helps..

Last edited by Delphinus; 02-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM

thanks but was actually lookin for a dealer to buy one from as j and l was out of stock. mine was new but sadly took a swim
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Why not just ask J&L to order one in that case? I kind of doubt many stores will be sitting on extra power supplies and would be in the same position of needing to special order one for you. In any event I'd just try any Tunze retailer (several of our sponsors are), in a pinch you can try the Canadian distributor at xeniainc.com but they might refer you to one of the retailers anyhow.

In a pinch, those other options can limp you along in the meantime, if you have access to something like that. Either way good luck, hope you find something!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 AM

thanks i did actually order it from jandl but they are out of stock and cant get one for aleast 2 weeks. i emailed xenia and we will see i may just have to wait