Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Does a QT need some sort of Filtration?
Yes 90 85.71%
No 15 14.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Reefie is on a distinguished road
Default QT Filtration Necessary?

So......I'm finally learning to do things properly after reading some bad experiences that my fellow Canreefer's have experienced with Marine Velvet, Marine Ich, etc. I had an extremely bad case if Ich, that has had it's toll on my livestock and myself.

I've got a QT set up now with a small Powerhead, heater, an airstone, and some PVC pipe. Running it Bare Bottom as I don't want to end up keeping yet another tank, at least that is what my wife is telling me. Haha!

My question is that will I need some sort of filtration? My plan was to do 5%-10% water changes weekly or twice weekly. The only Medication I plan on using is Paraguard for the livestock to be quarantined. I tried Cupramine on a few of the survivors, but they were too far gone to save.

If I should use some sort of filtration, would a HOB Filter suffice? I'm not planning to spend too much money on a QT. Won't the filtration system filter out the Paraguard?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

A QT is the best thing you can do for any reef tank.
You can dip corals, but you should QT critters.
Having a HOB filter is great to seed your QT. All you have to do is either float a sponge in your sump for awhile, or, run the HOB on your sump.
The point here is to seed a filter so your QT will support your dudes while you hold them in the QT.
Paraguard is a pretty basic remedy that is removed with carbon filtration, so don't run carbon while you're treating with it.
There's no harm using it with it's dosage, but you should remove it weekly with water changes. At the end of the week, do a 50-75% water change and change the filters in your HOB.
Don't keep/re-use the sponges/filters in your HOB - THROW THEM AWAY.
Especially if you use copper-based treatments.
Keep up your water changes ( if you have ammonia, nitrites), and make sure you have lots of aeration as most treatments cause your oxygen levels to drop.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

You need either a substrate for the nitrogen cycle to take effect or larg water changes. How much water to change, and how much media in you filter, will depend on bio load.

Because you have no established filter, you will likely be doing large water changes for a month. Monitor the cycle, change water as needed. Using some rock rubble out of your tank in the filter will greatly speed up this process, don't reuse it if your using chemicals.

NOTE! When you throw sponges away, you throw away lots of good bacteria. Don't do it till your done your hospital treatment.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I just have a canister filter with sponges inside running all the time, so it is ready and fully cycled whenever I need it. ATM, I am using mine to cook some rock.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your input!!!

I just picked up a nano filter that runs with a sponge that I can seed, and I can add a little carbon cartridge whenever needed.

I'm going to seed the Sponge tonight, and take it from there.

Thanks again EVERYONE!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Biological filtration isn't an absolute necessity.....large daily water changes can get the job done....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

When I start my tank I grab water from the DT and an air spounge I have pre seeding. After all is over I throw the spounge out and start all over.