Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Zarstar is on a distinguished road
Default Just Purchased some Cuttlefish Eggs!!

I just purchased a clutch of cuttlefish eggs and I would like to know if anyone has experience, knows somebody with experience, or knows of a good article outlining their early stages of development. They were purchased at Aquatic Exotic in Edmonton. 3402 parsons rd.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Get in touch with this member

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ght=cuttlefish
Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Blueworld Aquariums here in Victoria has successfully raised some.. They have one in the store that's really cool. It watches the freezer that's across the room, and gets excited when anyone goes near it. It also likes female voices, and will come out and display for girls
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Check out www.marinebreeder.org/forums

Suzy on there had raised dwarf cuttlefish from eggs. She had a whole breeding log going on there. Suzy is her real name, and her screen name.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Following.
Would love to see how it turns out!

How much were they? Could be very cool outcome.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Following as well. Been gearin myself up to try this in the near future.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 AM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

successfully raised the eggs with nothing but cyclopeeze powder... very easy to raise... just put the eggs in a breeder net and sprinkled the food in.... after about 15 minutes just washed out the net with the tank water swiching it around! Keep us posted about how it turns out!

Steve
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
successfully raised the eggs with nothing but cyclopeeze powder... very easy to raise... just put the eggs in a breeder net and sprinkled the food in.... after about 15 minutes just washed out the net with the tank water swiching it around! Keep us posted about how it turns out!

Steve
Do you have any documentation of this? That's pretty groundbreaking as I've never ever, heard of anyone raising them on anything but live mysids.

Cyclopeeze seems way too small as baby brine shrimp are too small. Adult brine don't have enough nutrition and everyone that has tried got 100% failure rate.

Zarstar, I do recommend you order some live mysids. Reed Mariculture is the best source as they are grown in a lab, you can get wild caught ones cheaper but they are not of the same quality. Be warned they are VERY canabolisitic. You need to hatch baby brine shrimp for the mysids. You can do this in the same tank but it is better to do it separate.

Once they get older you can certainly train them to eat frozen but I strongly suggest you start with mysids. Usually they will start eating a few days to a week after hatching and start out eating 1-2 and work there way up to 10+ at which time you can try larger foods. First amiphods and even py mysis as a first frozen food, then onto shrore / ghost shrimp and finally whatever frozen food you are going to feed them, likely uncooked grocery store shimp.

I really miss keeping these guys but it's very time consuming and expensive. I saw some eggs a couple weeks back and I told the store owner he'd have to give me $500 for me to take them and even then I'd think twice.

You should also look at joining tonmo.com the best place to discuss cephs. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

lol no, no documentation, I had some come into the store unexpectedly and had no live food, so I figured "lets try this"..... it worked and Ive done it a couple times since then.... raised them until they were about 3/4-1 inch off of it.... by then they sold....

Steve
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 AM

Zarstar is on a distinguished road

Yes, I will keep this tag updated as the eggs progress. Not much to look at now but when they are close to hatching ill put pics up.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

*check back in a week