Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 AM

CountryBoy72 is on a distinguished road
Default 110G Start Up

I now have 100lbs of macro rock, 44lbs of LR, 105lbs of dry sand in my tank. I have an flow accelerator on my return out flow, a 1400 gph powerhead. I also have my protein skimmer running too.

My parameters yesterday were
Temp- 79.9
PH 7.5
Ammonia .6
Salinity 1.024(little bit below)

Tested my salinity today an it jumped up too 1.030 I removed some of the water an replaced it with RO water. What would cause it to jump up like that ? An how long does it take for the salinity to drop once I put the RO water in ?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM

The hydrometer is definitely all over the place lol. Going to get a digital monitor an a normal refractometer as a back up. Anybody using a American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor ?

Last edited by CountryBoy72; 02-12-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 AM

One question I do have is with those two types of rock in the tank/sump do I have to add a couple raw shrimp to jump start the cycle ?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

People used to use the shrimp, but you have a lots of Live Rock already in there. It will cycle your tank, I would stay away from the shrimp. The point of the cycle is to get everything balanced, and once the shrimps gone, you'd have another cycle as things settle out. best just to leave it be and once every thing is settled, you'll be good to go.

Salinity with a hydrometer is a pain, i used one for 5 years though without problems, just gotta flick it a couple times for the bubbles to get out. I've actually ended up having more problems going to a refratometer because the damn thing needs calibration so often. It shouldn't swing unless you have lots of evaporation, but if you have an auto top off with RO you shouldn't notice anything.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM

Will I have a big ammonia spike ? How often should I test for the Ammonia ? Once the ammonia goes to zero, then the nitrites will start to spike.
Test results from this morning.
Salinity 1.023
Temp 81
Ammonia .6
Nitrite .0

Last edited by CountryBoy72; 02-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Relax you do not need to test often. Your tank should cycle in about a month.
In the meantime observe how your tank changes daily as life springs up here and there. Invest in a small LED blue flashlight and observe the same at night.
After you have zero nitrites and ammonia wait a few weeks and add your first fish.

Unless they are small fish add one per month. The reason is you do not want to upset the fragile bio balance. If you do expect algae, cyno and PH problems which in some cases take months to rectify.

Ask questions here about the suitability of fish you would like to add from those who have had experience with them already.
For example if you are considering a mandarin you have to wait until your tank matures so that there are ample pods in the tank to meet its needs otherwise the fish will starve to death unless it happens to adjust to LFS foods.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM

Is there any particular order that I should put the fish in the tank ? Also, can i put the two clowns in at the same time, or the three cardinals all in at the same time when it comes time to put them in my display tank ?

ORA Red Mandarin(once the tank is well established, eats frozen shrimp/bloodworms. Hoping)
3x Cardinal fish
Starry Blenny
B/W Percula Clownfish
True Percula Clownfish
Long Nose Hawkfish
Tang
Fairy Wrasse

Last edited by CountryBoy72; 02-17-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Next week will be a month. Have some little critters running around and stuff growing on my LR. Temp 78 and Salinity is 1.023. Anything else I should test for ? How noticeable will the diatom bloom be ?. I also add 4 liters of RO water a day. My wood stove heat has a lot to do with that, will be looking into an ATO unit to make the wife's life simpler when I go away.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 AM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

I'd hold off on the Mandarin for now, you will need a good pod population before even considering adding one.

Stability is key when it come to this hobby. You don't need a Salinity Probe, just buy a good refractometer. I only test Salinity on the fresh SW before a WC, I'd suggest to keep your Salinity at 1.025.

If you're going to add multiples of the same species, add them at the same time.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Tank has been running for two months now. I have not put on or used lights on the tank. Do I need to put on an run lights ?