Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM

NemoanDory is on a distinguished road
Default MOVING HELP PLEASE

Ok so I am really in a hard spot I need to know your guys opinion.

This has been a very tough decision for me, so need advice from ppl just looking more for IMO type answers. Not looking for a solution.

IF this was your tank and was your biggest dream and most successful tank you had ever had and everything was flourishing in it for over 2years, what would you do in this situation.

I have to move I have a 240 gal NEW tank My original plan was going to be to transfer everything from the 110 that all my stuff is in now. I was just going to do this in the house I am in now but landlord decided to sell
So I have ended up deciding to move from my place into my boyfriends house which has no room for even a 33 gal tank and he just bought it. SO he leaves in the far far se and his parents have said we can put the tank at their place which is about a 20 to 30 min drive from his house. We will not be getting a new house for a few years obviously as this is a brand new home he just had built and moved into. So my tank would reside at his parents house which means I will have to make trips there every other day or every two days to make sure all is right with the tank and maintence is done.

Would you sell everything in the tank now and keep all the equipment that is running it such as sump, skimmer, pumps heaters and light and redo everything in a few years when you have a bigger house.

OR

Would you set up the new tank at the parents house and go out of your way a few times a week to maintain it?

What would you guys do?

Thank you.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Being in a similar situation before I would (and did) sell all livestock and keep the equipment. It's hard work to maintain a tank that isn't in your house, it's a lot of stress and you risk loosing livestock that you could have recovered cost and replaced later. There's very little that can't be replaced.

Also it's a big tank, and just the move alone is a lot of work and could result in loses.

In terms of how to sell, part out for sure, it's actually the easiest and best way to recover the most money.

Setup a numbered list with prices.
State a day and time frame that works for you.
Request people to PM with what they want but only if they can make it during the time frame.
Hold corals in order for those who PM first
Tell people to bring their own transportation containers, as in buckets or bags.

I would setup one day for coral first and certain portion of rock if there was interest. Then fish another day.

The prices you ask will determine how much interest you get and ultimately how fast things sell.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I would hold onto the tank and equipment, if you can have it set up at his parents then do it. I hope this doesn't sound offensive as it's not meant to be but here goes...it sounds like you are moving in together out of necesscity. Not sure how long you and your boyfriend have been together, but i wouldn't give up a thing at this point and see how things go, would say a year...maybe by then you can build/buy a place together to include plans for your bigger tanks! Good luck!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I guess of terms of equipment as well you'll have to consider if a tank that size will fit in your future plans. A tank that size can be hard to fit in some places, it may not work with your future house so you should way the odds and the cost of storage.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Very good points! I have resented bfs in the past that I gave stuff up for, whether it was out of necessity or money, whatever, so just thinking to take that part out of the picture...that might just be me tho!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Being in a similar situation before I would (and did) sell all livestock and keep the equipment. It's hard work to maintain a tank that isn't in your house, it's a lot of stress and you risk loosing livestock that you could have recovered cost and replaced later. There's very little that can't be replaced.

Also it's a big tank, and just the move alone is a lot of work and could result in loses.

In terms of how to sell, part out for sure, it's actually the easiest and best way to recover the most money.

Setup a numbered list with prices.
State a day and time frame that works for you.
Request people to PM with what they want but only if they can make it during the time frame.
Hold corals in order for those who PM first
Tell people to bring their own transportation containers, as in buckets or bags.

I would setup one day for coral first and certain portion of rock if there was interest. Then fish another day.

The prices you ask will determine how much interest you get and ultimately how fast things sell.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I would hold onto the tank and equipment, if you can have it set up at his parents then do it. I hope this doesn't sound offensive as it's not meant to be but here goes...it sounds like you are moving in together out of necesscity. Not sure how long you and your boyfriend have been together, but i wouldn't give up a thing at this point and see how things go, would say a year...maybe by then you can build/buy a place together to include plans for your bigger tanks! Good luck!
Lol...

I think she was looking for advice on keeping a tank away from where she lives...not her relationship.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
Lol...

I think she was looking for advice on keeping a tank away from where she lives...not her relationship.
True enough! I had said i wasnt meaning to offend...Tough place to be regardless. I think keep tank and equip and set up again down the road.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

I would sell the live stock for the time being IMO. keep the equipment if you have a place for it, and then, if you still want a tank why not just do a little nano tank or something for the time being to tie you over? nothing wrong with that
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

I temporarily set up a tank at my parents place 10 years ago, mom fell in love with the fish, didn't want to let them go, they grew, cost me a bundle to upgrade and the tank and fish are still there. Personally I would sell off most of my stuff and start new when the timing was right, what you have now may not work later so why store it, tanks especially don't take kindly to repeated moves and unless you crate it up I find they are far more susceptible to accidental damage.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I don't think driving back and forth for years is a workable solution. A tank is something you keep for your enjoyment and this sounds like a very inconvenient and expensive "solution" to your dilemma. I would set up a small nano to keep your favourite corals and small fish, but sell off the rest, including the equipment if you have no place to store them. Sounds like you wouldn't have room at your place to store the tank even if its empty. Get a nice AIO (like a RSM) and actually enjoy your hobby instead of dreading the drive back and forth and doing maintenance at someone else's house.

For myself, I don't get how you have a whole new house and not enough room for even a 33g tank. Is that because he has too much stuff and is unwilling to give up any of it so you can set up a tank? We have a small two bedroom groundfloor suite and I have had close to 1000g of tanks setup in here. Just something to make me go "hmmmmmm".