Tap Water 10 9.17%
Conditioned Tap Water 22 20.18%
RO Water 19 17.43%
RO/DI Water 58 53.21%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default RO Water/Tap Water

Not sure how to set this up as a poll, but just wondering how many people use ro, ro/di or tap water in their tanks? - Figured it out!

I ask because I've been filling my tank for 2 days now with ro water, wont be full until tomorrow morning, and I have to fill my sump still. (have been turning the water off during the day as my hose isn't quite long enough and I have a big clutzy dog who has already tripped over it once, knocking the hose out of the tank)

Have seen a few threads where people don't always use filtered water. I want to start my tank off right and I know, patience, patience, patience...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Coralgurl; 02-07-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I use RO/DI even though our TDS here in the lower mainland is very low. Mine in Surrey right now is 12, last summer it was 15.
I understand yours in calgary is high, 200 or so? I would definitely use ro/di there. Just another thing to keep dissolved solids out of the tank.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Our tap water here in Burnaby is only 7-8 lately, so I'm only running the RO as it's enough to acheive 0 TDS. I have DI if I ever need it after a rainstorm or what have you
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The two gents from the West Coast have pretty much nailed it. Heavily dependent on your source water TDS. I ran treated tap water here in Vernon for a couple of years and am glad I finally saw the light & began using RODI. TDS here is over 200. Some of the dissolved solids are good, like calcium & magnesium etc. but most of the rest are just going to build up in your system & cause issues long term.

You should be able to pull some sort of report online from your water supplier that shows the breakdown of TDS in your tap water. This will give you a better idea of what's going into your system if you decide to use treated tap water.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

south western ontario here, TDS is @ 180ppm, water treated with chloramine so RODI is a must
Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

RO/DI here
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 AM

I only have an ro unit and need to pick up a tds meter. Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 AM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

RO/DI water.
Our water has a low tds reading to begin with but when ever I use the tap water I end up with green hair algae. When I stick with RO/DI or just DI water it clears up. Also I dont have to clean the glass half as often using the purified water. Totaly worth waiting for it to fill with RO/DI water!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 AM

I'm waiting, not going to cheat.... I remember what our current tank went through with the set up and not going to repeat the same mistakes!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

the way I look at it, using RO/DI water with a TDS of 0 means you know exactly what you are putting into your tank, nothing. That is, pure water and nothing else. With non-zero TDS water you don't quite know what you are putting into your tank. Most likely a little bit of this and a little bit of that which may or may not be good for your tank. You just don't know :-)

Granted, you end up mixing your perfectly clean water with salt, but one would assume and hope that the salt that you are mixing into your water has been tested and is suitable for saltwater tanks and their inhabitants

Having said all that, there are plenty of people who use tap water with success.

Last edited by kien; 02-08-2012 at 04:16 AM.