Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road
Default Snorkelling Pics from Kauai

Here are a few pics from Ke'e and Poipu Beaches in Kauai.

Bluestripe Butterflyfish

Eyestripe Surgeonfish

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM

TaioneReefer is on a distinguished road

Beautiful
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Chris
Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow nice shots! That turtle under the halide shimmer is incredible! And third last... I love the crisscross stripes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Wow, I miss Hawaii. Our trip there a few years back is what got me into reefing. I wanted to take all those pretty fish home with me. .. and I guess I sorta did in the end
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Great pictures. I found Ke'e and Poipu among the nicer spots for snorkeling there.

Last edited by Delphinus; 02-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Wow nice shots! That turtle under the halide shimmer is incredible! And third last... I love the crisscross stripes
Ocean City had one of those a couple weeks ago, was stunning, took a couple of photos for looking up, not reef safe....

Great shots, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Beautiful fish but I'm shocked at how barren the ocean floor looks. I expected to see corals and more of a reef scenery, but the rocks and sand look almost bare of life.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Beautiful fish but I'm shocked at how barren the ocean floor looks. I expected to see corals and more of a reef scenery, but the rocks and sand look almost bare of life.
Most of the pics were taken very close to shore. I would guess that with the volume of snorkellers, swimmers, and dippers, and the amount of sediment that gets blown around there, corals aren't going to grow very well there.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's probably more a function of that where Sam took these photos, Poipu and etc., are better for snorkeling on account that they are safer places to swim. There are many spots on Kauai where the shoreline and the waves are simply too treacherous and swimming is not recommended. I bet if you took a boat based dive trip you'd be able to see more reefs. I did some shore based dives in Kauai and did find some decent coral formations in spots but not to the same extent that you can find off Maui or the Big Island (and even Maui for that matter isn't exactly a coral hotbed. The Big Island, particularly around Kona-Kailua, has the most spectacular reefs, IMO, looking closer to our expectations, in this hobby, of what a reef "looks" like. The underground topography lends itself well there for better coral growth. One of the fellows on the boat when I did my dive trip there last year ran his own dive shop in Oahu but he told me he chooses to dive the Big Island when he himself takes vacation - I thought that was rather telling.)

In general though, if you look at a map, Hawaii is pretty much at the northern limit of the tropics and in fact the island chain that makes up the group continue well north of the topic line. It is also one of the most geographically isolated places anywhere surrounding by a LOT of ocean before the next land. For "tropical" water, at around 25-26c, it's on the cooler side of things (and a lot of the shoreline is, for lack of a better way to put it - "too new" - in geographic terms that lava hasn't been there very long). As such the coral formations around Hawaii are quite juvenile in comparison to places further south (think Fiji and so on), and the vast majority of species tend to be of the hardier varieties (what we would call "beginner SPS", like Porites, Pocilliporas, and so on).

Reefs or not, I absolutely adore all of Hawaii. Kauai has a charm all its own that you don't find on the other more heavily traveled islands.

Last edited by Delphinus; 02-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.