Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road
Default In Desperate Need of Help for Saltwater Aquarium, Kelowna

Hi there,
I have been having some issues with an 86 gallon saltwater tank that I purchased 2 months ago that was all ready up and running. The people had it for 5 years and it looked very well taken care of when I got it. Everything was good for the first 5 weeks and then everything started going wrong. I have 2 clowns, 1 sailfin tang, a cardinal, 3 damsels and one giant damsel. I also had corals as well which included an anenome. It began to not do well and I realized it was giving off ammonia. It died and I also lost the rest of my corals. Now my tank had been a mess from the ammonia and I am having other issues as well. I have been so stressed from this tank and noone in Kelowna seems to have any more knowledge than me.
Levels in my tank:
Salinity: 1.022-1.024
Ph is too low: 7.7-7.9
KH-14 drops which is way to high again. I added OH balance to try and get the ph up and it says it doesn't affect KH and calcium but now I am not so sure.
calcium in 500
Phos: 0
Ammonia was up to 2ppm but I am not sure now as the test goes blue, guess because I have added Prime to break down the ammonia.
Nitrite and nitrate are at 0 which makes no sense to me.

I am desperate to get my tank back to normal. I have done 2 x 20 gallon water changes in the last week and plan to do one on Friday again. I was adding Ammo lock every 2nd day but I have since changed to Prime. The fish have started to do better now. I am very confused about the readings that I am getting from my levels. My ammonia reading is blue which is not even on the card. And how can my nitrate and nitrite be 0? I just had to buy a new filter as mine started leaking everywhere. It is a Rena XP3 canister filter and I also have a hang on the side protein skimmer. How often should I be replacing carbon, sponges or filter media with the ammomia present?

What is the best way to get this tank balanced again and how can I get my ph up and stable or is it better to wait until all the ammonia is completly gone since higher ph is not as good with ammomia? It was on the lower end before this all happened and now I am begining to wonder if that is why the anenome died. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leanne P, Kelowna
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Tigger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Tigger

When you moved the tank, you caused it to recycle again. I would do another water change and limit the amount of food you feed.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

A big water change, like 50g or more..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 AM

patman is on a distinguished road

+1 "you caused it to recycle again". Did you start with new water/sand? When I moved mine I thought I could avoid some problems by moving everything including most of the water. About 6 weeks later I had a mini cycle and had algae and cyano problems. Just had to do water changes and time until it cleared. And kept my flow up.

Sounds like your cycle is starting from the beginning. That's why you haven't been hit with nitrites and nitrates yet. But it is probably coming.

Your anenome would have hated the change in parameters.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

from what I have been told on here, dont mess around with your ph. if your fish are fine then leave it be, its better to have a stable ph then have it go to 8.4 after dosing, then a day or 2 later be back at 7.7 or less it causes too much stress. moving the tank for sure caused a mini cycle again, and the anemone dying creates more problems, like Brad (aquattro) says, large water change will help, or several smaller ones. I dont like the idea of canisters on saltwater tanks, but they can work fine too.. sumps allow for more water volume, more media/media reactors, etc. Good luck I hope everything settles in, and if you lose things its a bummer, but it happens to everyone!
p.s. welcome to Canreef

there are lots of really smart friendly people on here with lots of knowledge when it comes to this stuff
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 AM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

Big water change

Quit adding chemicals to your tank to fix things that are not problems, your snowballing into real problems. 7.9 is nothing to worry about and the anonia is there because you moved the tank. Lower the amonia with water changes and leave the rest alone. Stable beats proper.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 AM

Starry is on a distinguished road

Yep. wc, wc, wc. for sure is a mini cycle from the move. feed less and wait it out.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

how did you go about bringing the tank to your house??

ive moved alot of tanks to alot of houses any amonia i see is usually right away within days if there is any at all, with a tank that is five years old(if thats the case) it should be able to convert amonia pretty quick and at 2ppm( extremely high) your fish would have a hard time surving and corals would melt within days, but the amonia should decrease after a little spike not increase off the chart ,since the only die off would be what was released or very fragile(if transported right)

what kind of corals do you have??

are your fish ok??

lights and temp??

your parameters are out of whack besides what you added for ph what else have you added ???
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

oh and your getting a false reading for your amonia ,use an api test kit for amonia
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

there are guys local that can help if you want that and what you are asking here, sorry we never knew you were there having trouble, feel free to pm if youd like Id be happy to come take a look or bring some water over here to test ,help get all those parameters in check.
Brent

brent

Tags
ammonia, ph too low, tank not balanced