Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone tried to keep softies and lps under 20000k t5's?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this... I have a new set up running 4 t5 currently it has 2 10000k and 2 20000k, just wondering if it is possible for corals to go all 20000k with success. I know the spectrum may not be ideal for lps but this is gonna be a skimmerless set up. Lights are 2" above water and the tank is 24x18x18 of display....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Why would it not work? Provided the bulbs used are for reef aquariums it will still be full spectrum, just heavy on the blues.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

I've run all Blue+ before and it worked fine.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Likes to play with Fish

cool and great to hear...

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

ATI Blue+ and their KZ/AS equivalents put out a lot of PAR to boot. No reason SPS wouldn't still do well.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Most corals are in the 50 foot depth (especially softies) average so i would image at that depth, it is mostly blue and they grow better than whiter lighting.... I guess that is why many are fluroscent to attract food under blue lighting.
My 2 cents.

Msjboy
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM

mattdean is on a distinguished road

I tried it and my SPS started to brown. I put the white back and they colored up right away. Not sure why, but I was told it may happen and it did. fortunately, I have a 17.5K white that is very clean, so it looks nice, especially with an actinic blue LED.
So, just watch closely to make sure it doesn't happen to you.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Almost any "Reef Compatible" bulbs will "grow" coral. Some just grow a little (or a lot) better. Truth be told even some of the less than reputable bulbs will "maintain" a reef but few of us want that level of growth. The trick is to find a color combination that you like (aesthetics only) and one that promotes decent coral growth. For me I like a more blue look but I also like the POP that a specialty bulb produces. That's why on T5's I liked to always running a KZ Fiji Purple to make the Reds & Oranges in the tank really pop.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
ATI Blue+ and their KZ/AS equivalents put out a lot of PAR to boot. No reason SPS wouldn't still do well.
Yah love the colour of the ATI blues, I will order some from the states when its time for replacement... Right I am running some some older bulbs around 6 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
I tried it and my SPS started to brown. I put the white back and they colored up right away. Not sure why, but I was told it may happen and it did. fortunately, I have a 17.5K white that is very clean, so it looks nice, especially with an actinic blue LED.
So, just watch closely to make sure it doesn't happen to you.
There are going to be no sps in this tank just lps and softies with nice bright color, its currently running 3 blue 1 white, kinda of a weird combo but better color temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
Almost any "Reef Compatible" bulbs will "grow" coral. Some just grow a little (or a lot) better. Truth be told even some of the less than reputable bulbs will "maintain" a reef but few of us want that level of growth. The trick is to find a color combination that you like (aesthetics only) and one that promotes decent coral growth. For me I like a more blue look but I also like the POP that a specialty bulb produces. That's why on T5's I liked to always running a KZ Fiji Purple to make the Reds & Oranges in the tank really pop.
I like a more Blue 20k look but the purple KZ would definately bring out the other colours and in the fish aswell.

I think I will swap out the white for a purple.