Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 PM

kole is on a distinguished road
Default Apex lite or reefkeeper lite

Hi Looks like I will be purchasing a controller tonight. It will be the Apex lite or reefkeeper lite. Which one do you run. I'm leaning toward the Apex. Lets here it.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

I have both myself, you can do more with the Apex but it's takes some time to figure out. The RK is much simpler to Program and set-up. Really depends on how complicated your system is IME...If you like to tinker and you have a bunch of equipment to run, go APEX...if you don't want to spend a bunch of time messing with things and your system is simple (lights, pumps, skimmer and maybe a reactor or two) KISS with the RK.

Last edited by cale262; 12-27-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

I run a RKL and a RKE, had them over a yaer now. had some issues early on cuz of bad programming by DA but they seem to have all the bugs out now, haven't had any hardware issues and setup is pretty straight forward.
for the difference in money I would go with the RKE, the RKL is pretty limited. i have no experience with apex.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Bought the Apex
Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM

RyanJ is on a distinguished road

Apex all the way!! You can control it all from your phone, plus you can setup like 250 devices on there aqua bus!! I have 4 energy bar 8' s and it was super simple to setup!! In 2 years the Apex has not even failed me once! It's all plug and play.. And the programming is really easy to understand!! IMHO that is..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Raven34 is on a distinguished road

Apex is easy to program if you are good at that kind of stuff. If not you will never fully understand it unless you devote your life to it. I just use mine as a fancy power bar.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven34 View Post
Apex is easy to program if you are good at that kind of stuff. If not you will never fully understand it unless you devote your life to it. I just use mine as a fancy power bar.
Really, it's not that tough. And for those that are really challenged by these, almost anything you want to do has been done and the code can be copied and pasted into the outlet you're playing with. Check the Neptune forum on RC for lots of samples.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Apex all the way!! You can control it all from your phone, plus you can setup like 250 devices on there aqua bus!! I have 4 energy bar 8' s and it was super simple to setup!! In 2 years the Apex has not even failed me once! It's all plug and play.. And the programming is really easy to understand!! IMHO that is..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Really, it's not that tough. And for those that are really challenged by these, almost anything you want to do has been done and the code can be copied and pasted into the outlet you're playing with. Check the Neptune forum on RC for lots of samples.

I know where to come when I need help! Hope your up for the task. Shouldn't be too bad I have been looking around for awhile and have seen the Neptune forum on RC and I have the unofficial guide downloaded. Also bought the gaming adapter to connect wireless. Should be fun.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I found the Apex to be pretty easy to program save for the e-mail set-up. That one took me a long time to get the kinks worked out. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with the unit and the service from Neptune.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM

RyanJ is on a distinguished road

Oh there great!! I'm setting up my rodi unit on float switches this week so my rodi unit shuts down when the water level gets to the top of the resivour... Anotger great feature if your useing a kalk reactor.. You can stop doseing if the ph gets to high.. There are soooo many things you can do.. Like a float switch in your skimmer lid.. Do if it gets full it dosent pump back into your sump!! And have it email you that it happened!!