Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 PM

Shwabber is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a diagnosis!

Hey Everyone,

I have an Ocellaris that is puzzling me to no end. It looks like Ich or Brook, however there are no signs of other distress than that of the colour and long white stringy feces. The fish is eating well, swimming normally, not rubbing up against anything. In fact since introduction to the DT three weeks ago, she has become even more friendly and active, however the white blotches are much more apparant. These blotches started as dark spots actually, almost like Velvet. The long stringy feces has been there since day one.

So my best guess is an intestinal worm.....but would that cause enough distress to her system to discolour the scales?

Here are my specs....

Chemistry:
NH3/NH4: 0
N02: 0
N03: 0.25
PH: 8.1
DKH: 8
SG: 1.025
TA: 77.1 F
RO/DI TDS: 3 PPM

Tank Setup:
75 Gallon Corner overflow
20 lbs. Live Rock + 60 lbs. Base Rock
Coralife 125 Protien Skimmer
2 x Ocellaris Clowns
1 x Peppermint Shrimp
2 x Mexican Turbo Snails
12 x Astrea Snails
4 x Large heads of Frogspawn

Tank has been running for 3 months, Initial Algae has ceased and Coraline is spreading.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Shwabber

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81182
Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

white stringy poop is usually an indicator of an internal parasite......Im not positive about the blotchy patches tho
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

If you think it's an internal parasite, you can try Prazipro. It's reef safe and I have used it a few times in my nano with sponges, soft coral, SPS, LPS, feather duster, flame scallop etc...and none were affected. The only coral that was a bit bothered but survived was my pumping xenia. The fish pooped a very long worm.

It also take care of any flukes if there are some.

It does not kill the pods or bristle worms or bristle stars, nor the shrimp or snails.

If it is internal protozoar parasites, then Prazipro will not work and you then need metronidazole. I would not use metro in the reef tank though.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

tagging along
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM

I started a treatment of Prazi-Pro yesterday, lets hope it helps. The fish is showing more signs of malnutrition, (sunken jaw area and thinning around the dorsal fin), so I am thinking more and more that it is internal and whatever is in there is taking up her nutrients. I'll keep you posted!

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

I just finished a treatment of parazi-pro on my leopard wrasse and tailspot blenny , blenny had stringy poop too . One treatment seemed to clear it right up but if your clown is in such rough shape you might want to do a w/c after the first treatment wait a day then do another round just to be sure .
Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Well, after day 4, (yesterday), she no longer has long white excrement, she let out 2 goes of long yellow/brown feces instead! Looked like it could be worms???? She is eating even better and the most playful she's been. I had a chat with the LFS guy and we are in agreement that the white marks could be one of three things...

1. She's trying to let one of the Frogspawns host her, (It has been a little more closed at times and see no other reason for it to be so), although I haven't actually seen her do this, she may have some intolerance to it's sting.

2. There could be something unseen within my live rock that is nipping her while she sleeps, (However her fins have never actually appeared damaged).

3. It's rare, but the Peppermint Shrimp could be having a go at her as well.

All in all, it looks like the Prazi is dealing with whatever intestinal problems she is having... (Kudos Daniella3D!!). I'll wait to see if she looks any better after a while. I've moved the one frogspawn for now...and may transfer the Peppermint's to another tank too...just to see if that's the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
I just finished a treatment of parazi-pro on my leopard wrasse and tailspot blenny , blenny had stringy poop too . One treatment seemed to clear it right up but if your clown is in such rough shape you might want to do a w/c after the first treatment wait a day then do another round just to be sure .
Toytech, thanks for this as well, I will run my skimmer for a couple days and do a large water change, then repeat for at least another round of Prazi.

Again I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks,

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Hosting burns generally appear like small black freckles. My clowns went through the hosting battle in the past.

I see this ( white blotches )once in a while on my tailspot, but I have had him over a year and no problems.

Do not medicate needlessly. It can weaken an immune system.

Treat if necessary but only when necessary.

I have never medicated my tanks.

Good luck.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Hosting burns generally appear like small black freckles. My clowns went through the hosting battle in the past.

I see this ( white blotches )once in a while on my tailspot, but I have had him over a year and no problems.

Do not medicate needlessly. It can weaken an immune system.

Treat if necessary but only when necessary.

I have never medicated my tanks.

Good luck.
True, I would expect hosting burns to be black as well.

She really isn't bothered by anything....I did find a couple of Bristleworms today...but highly doubt they would be the cause...I'm just going to wait and see if the colour returns. I like your statement about not unecessarily medicating!! I agree!

75 Gallon Mixed Reef
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

could be healing spots, as you mentioned black specks earlier, posibility of hosting burns. You see that a lot when clowns host in carpets.

White stringy turds are definately signs of Brooklynella, but you would need symptons of heavy breathing and scrathing too.

If you can find it, look for a product called ImmunaVital, not sure which LFS out there would have it, but Big Al's might. It will help strengthen the clown's immune system.

Like ColdFX for fish.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook

Last edited by BlueWorldAquatic; 01-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.