Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road
Default Can you make a decision for me, please ?

I am running 2 Tunze pump on my standard 48x18x20 75 gallon tank right now. One is 6055 and another is 6085, but they are not giving enough flow in my dominant sps tank. So I put 3 extra 1200 Maxijets and 1 Koralia 4 to help the flow, but I hate the look with too many powerheads in the tank. I don't know what I should buy, Tunze 6055 or Vortech 10 ? Can not afford the 40 though. I can't decide which pump will give a good flow, I want to get rid of those ugly Maxijets. Can anyone help me to make a decision before Boxing Day comes ?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

roughly the same gph between the MP10 and tunze 6055......kinda depends on what you need and where you wanna put it.......the tunzes are point able and will give you more mounting options........ie, I have one tunze mounted to the overflow box with the "dry side" magnet submerged ..... cant do that with a vortech.......the tunzes also seem to be more durable......the MP10 will have smaller profile and be less intrusive in the tank......easy to use "modes" and are wireless......sorry guys and Ecotech, but the wetsides on all vortechs are the weak link in the pump......they suck IMHO......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-22-2011, 12:59 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
roughly the same gph between the MP10 and tunze 6055......kinda depends on what you need and where you wanna put it.......the tunzes are point able and will give you more mounting options........ie, I have one tunze mounted to the overflow box with the "dry side" magnet submerged ..... cant do that with a vortech.......the tunzes also seem to be more durable......the MP10 will have smaller profile and be less intrusive in the tank......easy to use "modes" and are wireless......sorry guys and Ecotech, but the wetsides on all vortechs are the weak link in the pump......they suck IMHO......
Im with Doug on this one .

I was going to do that Doug with the magnet on the wet side in the over flow.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. I too am going to need to upgrade powerheads if I have any hope at all in getting a few SPS in the future.

I really do like the vortech but the price is hard to swallow. MP40s are what? $500 for one?

Could you perhaps keep your eyes open for some great boxing day sales and upgrade to a better tunze model? Some placed like redcoral are offering 15% off, which is actually pretty significant. I hope this sale includes absolutely everything when they say "dry goods".
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Tunze would match the other pumps you are running and as the OP said its directional so you can pretty much angle it in any way you want.

while the Vortech are alittle bit loud, they protrude less in the tank and with a decent flow it doesn't need to be directional just place it on the side of your 75 g and the half of the tank will be rolling waves!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Tunze all the way, IMO.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 AM

Yeah, it is overpriced with poor quality reviews on the wet side pump as Fishytime said. But, if I only need to spend $500 for a pump, I will definitely go for it. The problem is, I have to many things to buy for the whole year supplies for my tank. 4,5 pails of salt, MH and T5 bulbs, all kind of additives and test ... with too many things I can't even write it down without looking at the list. It really sucks being poor but I got addicted to this expensive hobby, I can't get out
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Tunze would match the other pumps you are running and as the OP said its directional so you can pretty much angle it in any way you want.

while the Vortech are alittle bit loud, they protrude less in the tank and with a decent flow it doesn't need to be directional just place it on the side of your 75 g and the half of the tank will be rolling waves!

Only half of the tank ?
I wish I have the luxury pump like yours ... psst ... and all your high end frags too
Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
Yeah, it is overpriced with poor quality reviews on the wet side pump as Fishytime said. But, if I only need to spend $500 for a pump, I will definitely go for it. The problem is, I have to many things to buy for the whole year supplies for my tank. 4,5 pails of salt, MH and T5 bulbs, all kind of additives and test ... with too many things I can't even write it down without looking at the list. It really sucks being poor but I got addicted to this expensive hobby, I can't get out
Look for things gently used!! Unfortunately all the "good" things people usually don't want to let go of but every once in awhile you can find great things on kijiji and this site. I found an awesome deal on an aquarium and set up I'm very thrilled to have right here on canreef by simply asking around.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gqA...eature=related